GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highest HP from M50?

Default Highest HP from M50?

Turbo'd, chipped, whatever - what's the highest you've heard? Details, driveability, gas mileage, if you know. Thanks.

Also, do you have to be a wizard to do your own ground-up M50 rebuild?

u can push the motor as far as u want. i wouldn't be surprised to see
    500 hp or so. don't expect it to last long, and expect a lot of lag

Default naturally aspirated.....

aaaannnnddd dumping quite a quantity of money into it, around 240 or so.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

naturally aspirated wheel 240? yeah that might be doable
    depends if u want to build the motor, rev it to 12 grand
    on race gas heheh then u'd see around 300 or more wheel
    and would have to pay close to 100,000 dollars for motor alone

Default i didn't mean...

wheel HP.....i think 240 is achievable if one takes down the motor,,,,rounding down the dinan numbers....

chip..eat/dinan, whomever---at least 10, prob have to get one custom made
    dinan's exhaust--at least 10
    dinan's throttle body...they claim 8, lets say 5-7
    engine internals mods-a very CONSERVATIVE 10
    CAI...if one swings that way....1 or two

there's almost two thirty, and i've severely discounted how much changing internal bits adds.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

M50's, especially the early non-vanos motors, respond pretty well to forced induction, be it Turbo or Supercharged variety. Plenty of people getting at or over 400HP from FI M50's in E36s and the like.

Gary M Guest

I doubt you'd get anything close to 230 with these mods. Maybe 215 if you're lucky with most of it coming from the chip. I've tried several different things and the chip is the only thing that really made a difference. I'm at 208 with a chip, CAI, and underdrive pulleys. However, I've got an automatic transmission, so that's probably limiting things a little. I've been told the exhaust and throttle body mods are mostly hype. A supercharger or turbo will get the hp up to the 230/240 or even more range.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    wheel HP.....i think 240 is achievable if one takes down the motor,,,,rounding down the dinan numbers....

chip..eat/dinan, whomever---at least 10, prob have to get one custom made
    dinan's exhaust--at least 10
    dinan's throttle body...they claim 8, lets say 5-7
    engine internals mods-a very CONSERVATIVE 10
    CAI...if one swings that way....1 or two

there's almost two thirty, and i've severely discounted how much changing internal bits adds.

Default sorry, i wrote....

"take down the motor" as to mean that it would have to be rebuilt, as was kinda asked in the first....i sincerely doubt that if one rebuilt a junk motor for the purposes of getting it to 230 by natural aspiration that it would be hard....the bolt ons are just applesauce....dan D wants to build a t-body......if he doesn't buy a m50 one first im going to donate one and see what the seat of the pants dyno says......

Quote Originally Posted by Gary M
    I doubt you'd get anything close to 230 with these mods. Maybe 215 if you're lucky with most of it coming from the chip. I've tried several different things and the chip is the only thing that really made a difference. I'm at 208 with a chip, CAI, and underdrive pulleys. However, I've got an automatic transmission, so that's probably limiting things a little. I've been told the exhaust and throttle body mods are mostly hype. A supercharger or turbo will get the hp up to the 230/240 or even more range.

Just curious, what's the wheel HP bone stock? Inefficiencies in the trans/shaft/clutch/diff/axles/etc are probably sucking up at least 35HP, more in an auto..... yes, that is heat being generated by those moving parts.
    1994 530iA Sold
    2003 FX-35
    1991 MR2 Turbo

Unregistered Guest

for one, exhaust will never give 10hp on a BMW, the stock design is too good. Exhaust swaps on BMW's are mainly for looks, sound, and weight saving. As for the chip, i have an eat, and dyno proven, it was only good for 6hp on my M50tu, but it shifted the power curve to a more driveable level. Intake showed no gain in HP. The chip is the only valid mod that will add driveable power to the M50. This is all aside from a forced induction setup, as these mods will assuredly help more. Gears and a chip are probably the best bet for actual speed modifications, the rest is well spent in a good suspension setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast