GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Snapon's warranty policy/Bill R's thrust arm procedure.

Default What's Snapon's warranty policy/Bill R's thrust arm procedure.

while removing the bottom 3 19mm bolts to remove the control arm, I managed to break three tools, a pretty nice Royal ratchet, a big lots 19mm socket, and a snap on socket extension. the ratchet (and esp) the extension suprised me, i thought they were built better than that. my question is...does snap on have any kind of warranty that I could make a claim on (as a non-original owner)?

geez
    that extension still suprised me, it snapped clean in half like something from harbor freight, it didn't even twist a little.

about bill r's procedure.
    i'm just enamored with it (at least in theory). this was the third time i tried to remove the thrust arms, and the only time i was successful. I've removed conventional suspension parts from other cars before, i'm familiar with the forces needed for separation. this was unlike anything else i've seen. even after I extricated the plate, i was unable to use bill's suggestion to remove the balljoint from the plate, it simply laughed at the full sized sledgehammer. the only way it budged was with the use of an extra large balljoint puller that i cludged together from two other pullers. i was almost certain that i would need to take it to a machine shop to pop it out. when the joint finally succumed to the puller, it made an incredible crack, and the puller flew in two pieces in two directions. there was no way in hell this thing was going to separate on-car, and certainly not with any pickle fork or hammer/impact socket rest. i feel happy that some are able to get their arms "out" using minimal effort, seriously. my car, however, is not one of these cases.
    thanks bill.

ps. i forgot to remove the nut on the LCA. i needed to change the boot on it. hopefully, if someone needs to do this (and needs to remove the LCA), they will remember to remove the nut prior to removing the plate.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

any snap on guy anywhere will swap it out for nothing if he has one, just keep it in your car and if you see a truck you can stop
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

that's what i thought. thanks winfred.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

bills procedure calls for rwmoving the whole deal and smacking the thing out on a solid durface.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Our dealer guy seems to insist on knowing that you were the original purchaser....

When you say it snapped, did it snap in bending or did it shear in torsion?

I've sheared an extension or two trying to get at recessed wheel lugnuts before. They're not that strong.

As for the thrust arms, you make me feel a bit better about taking my car to the shop for that one. My car, like yours, was one of those where no pickle fork would open that up.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Default You guys must have a bad snap on dealer/dist...Most of my

original snap on tools were purchased about 31 years ago and even though i get a few raised eyebrows when i complain about them only lasting 31 years my local snap on guy hasn't every given me any flack about the original receipts, i do wish that they still produced some of my favorite wrenches though..

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Our dealer guy seems to insist on knowing that you were the original purchaser....

well then he's just being a dick because that doesn't come out of his pocket, he gets paid back by snap on. they usually want to keep the mechanic happy and paying those big prices, i spend a few thousand a year on that truck so if my screwdriver tip gets dull or i round off a allen/torx bit socket or the joint in a set of pliers gets a little loose theres no question he just swaps it

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Yep, in fact many years ago , if my screwdriver blades were the

least little bit damaged or dull he would clamp them in the vise in his truck, snap the tip off of the blade and then give me a new one... The only thing that they were hesitant about was a new handle for the screwdrivers, they'd replace blades at the drop of a hat though. I finally got a number of my handles replaced when a shop that i worked at years ago burn't down and a number of my screwdriver handles had drooped and sagged from the heat. Stry that was a warranty , no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    well then he's just being a dick because that doesn't come out of his pocket, he gets paid back by snap on. they usually want to keep the mechanic happy and paying those big prices, i spend a few thousand a year on that truck so if my screwdriver tip gets dull or i round off a allen/torx bit socket or the joint in a set of pliers gets a little loose theres no question he just swaps it

All of the above apply, I think. He was either messing around or being dead honest about it the last time I had to replace something. Hard guy to read. But he did take care of it, so...

best, whit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast