GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instrument Cluster Mileage Display Help

Default Instrument Cluster Mileage Display Help

Hi Guys,

Quick bit of assistance if you can, just aquired a 94 E34 520i SE Saloon which has an intermitant problem with the mileometer & Trip displays which can sometimes be displayed perfectly other times they are fragmented (varying bits of the display lit up)

The previous owner had this diagnosed as being the' Instrument Cluster PC Board' as being faulty, now I would like to fix this if poss. but dont want to spend a fortune doing it.

If I obtained one from a breaker and fiited it, does this have an effect on the actual mileage reading? Is it a staright forward job, or does it need a dealer to set it up?

Cheers

Default In order to change it out you have to swap coding plugs and use your

old coding plug, it contains the mileage info and other info for the dash cluster. But you still need to stick with the same years or i believe you can use a newer cluster but not an older one. First i would do a cluster self test to see if everything lights up. Hold the odometer reset button on the dash cluster down , while holding it down turn the key to on but not starting it. With the key on and the button held down the self test will start within a couple of seconds, when it start to move the gauges you can let the button up and watch to make sure that everything functions and all fields light up.

Quote Originally Posted by mustard
    Hi Guys,

Quick bit of assistance if you can, just aquired a 94 E34 520i SE Saloon which has an intermitant problem with the mileometer & Trip displays which can sometimes be displayed perfectly other times they are fragmented (varying bits of the display lit up)

The previous owner had this diagnosed as being the' Instrument Cluster PC Board' as being faulty, now I would like to fix this if poss. but dont want to spend a fortune doing it.

If I obtained one from a breaker and fiited it, does this have an effect on the actual mileage reading? Is it a staright forward job, or does it need a dealer to set it up?

Cheers

Bill, this never worked for me, but now i see why. Somewhere I've read you have to hold the CC button down, not the one you said. I'll try your way on my lunch break, see if it works.

PHP Code:
    cluster self test 
    mights not work on yours from 1989 if it has a grey backplate. On my 11/1988 750 with they grey backplate on the cluster is does not work, on my 750 Highline from 03/1990 it works, different color backplate.
    02/89 -> 09/90 White PIC 93C46 1024 bytes Self test + diagnosis via Modic. Code plug is standard EPROM
    And of course the one with the blue backplate after the white one works also.

Right, I've done the 'test' everything lights up perfectly (unlike our 518 which the one digit on the trip is permantly out) the display seems to come into life (and stays lit) when the car is used for regulary, if it is left for a day or two it rather it disappears and returns when the car has done a decent journey.

Is there a battery of some sort on the circuit board? Is it not holding charge properly? Would replacing this battery (if there is one) solve the problem or am I best off getting a new (probably 2nd hand board)?

Cheers

The batteries used in older BMW instrument clusters were on the service indicator boards and I dont think they would eb your problem.

You have a busted gear I think.

Read this

http://www.z3bimmer.com/OffTopic/E24Bimmer//OdoGear/

Quote Originally Posted by mustard
    Right, I've done the 'test' everything lights up perfectly (unlike our 518 which the one digit on the trip is permantly out) the display seems to come into life (and stays lit) when the car is used for regulary, if it is left for a day or two it rather it disappears and returns when the car has done a decent journey.

Is there a battery of some sort on the circuit board? Is it not holding charge properly? Would replacing this battery (if there is one) solve the problem or am I best off getting a new (probably 2nd hand board)?

Cheers
    Current
    2008 M5 6 Spd
    2000 Z3 2.8 5 Spd MSport
    2012 X5 35d Sport
    1995 540i 6 Spd
    1992 535i 5 Spd

Former
    1995 530iA
    1986 635CSI 5 Spd
    2011 X3 2.8 MSport

Does it look like this?

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

No it doesnt, When the display goes, you get random and varying bits of the mileage/trip reading (both the milometer and trip continue to record miles whilst the display is not displaying properly)

I would first try to change the capacitors
    http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/...dash_caps.html
    That is cheap and is quickly done.
    If you cannot do it, ask a radio repair shop to do it for you based on the info in above link.
    If you need a new board, ask the chaps here
    http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk/forum/index.php
    There is also Harley, which can do the soldering for you. Just mention that I introduced you here to that board.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo
    Does it look like this?

ROFLMAO.

Sum funny shiz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast