GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Posts?

Default New Posts?

Regal raises a very valid point with the search thing. I've sorted most of my little niggles with the good ol' search button. which makes me think (I know I shouldn't), How many technical issues have NOT been discussed? You could just about rebuild an E34 from a bucket of nuts and bolts and some sheet metal from what is in the search section. I love to read about mods and the like and anything new happening on the scene but the "I'm having trouble with this..." post is virtually redundant due to the immense collaborative effort of all the members of this site. Or is it? The can of worms is open, please indulge.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

I'm new to the forum Regal and I see your point, I'm not known as the sharpest tool in the shed, my youngest boy leaves me for dead in the computer skills area, I have enough trouble working out where the search key is? (By the way, I've just recently found it), so this has opened a whole new door for me. But in view of all that, I could possibly feel like a real dill by posting a new thread which has already been covered in the forum, but I can't get my head around the answer to the problem in the old thread. Maybe by reraising the issue again, I get the help I need and maybe someone else too, who might be like me (hope not though) a bit afraid to ask due to feeling like a total dill.
    Cheer Mick

Hi Mick, Regal didn't start this thread so take it easy on him!!! As the starter of the thread I am only to ready to admit that I asked some q's that were already in the search section when I first joined. I have learn't the error of my ways. What I am trying to stop is newbies being slammed for asking questions that have been covered a million times. When you get to know the site it will annoy you too. All the best!
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Wingman--I had similar thoughts not long ago. There is an old joke about guys in prision who no longer told the full joke. They just shouted out the joke number cause they had all heard the jokes so many times. (The punchline had something do do with no one laughing after a guy shouted out some number cause he just couldn't tell a joke). After reading here for 9 months, I don't find that many new issues so it feels like we are dealing with issues that we could assign numbers to. (And a lot of the new issues are so advanced I am lost reading them anyway).

It gets a little boring seeing newbies ask the same questions over and over, but it also gets boring when they don't. I find myself getting restless with the board when it is not technical enough.

In defense of newbies, one problem they have using the search function is that there is a certain amount of lingo involved. We have our pet names for things and if you don't know the word, your search results are not very helpful. For example, you get really different results if you search for "shimmy" as opposed to "vibration". That is where the value of lurking comes in. You build the vocabulary to find the answers using search.

I have seen posts where someone tells a newbie do a search on "blah blah" and I will do the search to see what it pulls up. A lot of times, it doesn't get the answer cause it is not quite the right word. There are times when I can remember really good threads and am able to find them again only because I can remember a particular person who posted in the thread and I do an advanced search. While I think we don't want to have to write the same crap over and over I don't think it hurts us to help connect newbies with links to helpful threads. I usually find myself enriched by doing this cause I find stuff that is useful to me in the process.

Sometimes I find that new threads on old topics can be much better than ones you find through search. Sometimes it because the new person asking has a humility and sincerity that makes people want to answer. Some times it is better because different and more informed people respond. Sometimes the people people who respond are better at explaining and the answer is much more detailed and helpful. Sometimes there are great new pictures. Revisits to old topics can be a really good thing.

I am always amazed at how self managing and self correcting this board is. There seems to be a good balance between telling newbies to "go search" on one hand and on the other getting enthusiatically involved in rediscussing an old topic and having it come out new and fresh.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

I have caught myself posting a question and then finding the answer by searching. I always search first now, and if I can't find it I don't feel bad about posting the question. Even if someone directs me to a past thread that I missed, I at least tried to find it to the best of my abilities.

Default I'm kind of curious about the search, is there a trick to it... usually i

have no trouble finding things on search engines but this one i must not be doing things right... I rarely ever use search here but recently i have tried to look up a couple of things, and i haven't been very successful at it. Roadfly's seach i have no trouble with nor any others , i just wondered if the parameters of the search used by this board program are different?
    You get restless when there's not enough technical stuff? It makes me start searching out political pages on the net and that always causes problems

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    Wingman--I had similar thoughts not long ago. There is an old joke about guys in prision who no longer told the full joke. They just shouted out the joke number cause they had all heard the jokes so many times. (The punchline had something do do with no one laughing after a guy shouted out some number cause he just couldn't tell a joke). After reading here for 9 months, I don't find that many new issues so it feels like we are dealing with issues that we could assign numbers to. (And a lot of the new issues are so advanced I am lost reading them anyway).

It gets a little boring seeing newbies ask the same questions over and over, but it also gets boring when they don't. I find myself getting restless with the board when it is not technical enough.

In defense of newbies, one problem they have using the search function is that there is a certain amount of lingo involved. We have our pet names for things and if you don't know the word, your search results are not very helpful. For example, you get really different results if you search for "shimmy" as opposed to "vibration". That is where the value of lurking comes in. You build the vocabulary to find the answers using search.

I have seen posts where someone tells a newbie do a search on "blah blah" and I will do the search to see what it pulls up. A lot of times, it doesn't get the answer cause it is not quite the right word. There are times when I can remember really good threads and am able to find them again only because I can remember a particular person who posted in the thread and I do an advanced search. While I think we don't want to have to write the same crap over and over I don't think it hurts us to help connect newbies with links to helpful threads. I usually find myself enriched by doing this cause I find stuff that is useful to me in the process.

Sometimes I find that new threads on old topics can be much better than ones you find through search. Sometimes it because the new person asking has a humility and sincerity that makes people want to answer. Some times it is better because different and more informed people respond. Sometimes the people people who respond are better at explaining and the answer is much more detailed and helpful. Sometimes there are great new pictures. Revisits to old topics can be a really good thing.

I am always amazed at how self managing and self correcting this board is. There seems to be a good balance between telling newbies to "go search" on one hand and on the other getting enthusiatically involved in rediscussing an old topic and having it come out new and fresh.
    Last edited by Bill R.; 01-02-2006 at 11:55 AM.

I have also been just bugging the hell out of everyone by PM'ing them. That way I go through to avenues before posting my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    have no trouble finding things on search engines but this one i must not be doing things right... I rarely ever use search here but recently i have tried to look up a couple of things, and i haven't been very successful at it. Roadfly's seach i have no trouble with nor any others , i just wondered if the parameters of the search used by this board program are different?
    This search engine regularly comes up empty for me especially on one word searches. This happens most often when I am searching for a specific comment someone made that I want to quote in one of the running banter bs threads. I know the person used a specific word and the search engine just won't get it. So then I go to the person's post history and scroll back until find it, and yes they used the word I was looking for and the search engine should have found it and didn't. This is a cantankerous search engine, so it is not you Bill. We are all spoiled by the power of google and this search engine just isn't google.

This also happens when I search on technical topics. I usually just start reading the threads in the search results that have the most posts. In reading those, I come across a different word for what I am looking for and do a new search using that word and eventually get it. But it is just in my nature to research and read--a result of too much schooling.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Quote Originally Posted by mbogosia
    I have also been just bugging the hell out of everyone by PM'ing them. That way I go through to avenues before posting my question.

Your intent is obviously to be considerate, but you deprive other people of shared knowledge. It is no less work for the people you are private messaging to type a private message than to type a post.

I think people can tell whether someone has put out any effort at all to solve their problem and if they have, people are happy to have them post.

the only reason I am pushing the search button (which is very unaccurate) is for the people asking "why does my car shimmy between 50-60mph?" and the famous "why dont my car start" with absolutely no idea even what car.

Yes there will be questions asked over and over but with a different twist, thats completely fine.

The point is we changed forums so that stuff dont get popped off the front page for a day...its worse than it ever was now and people reply to stupid posts over and over and if you blink an eye we cant help the people really asking legitimate questions.

Can we add a google search to this type of forum? That might help a lot, we had that on the old forum.

Idonno, am I way off the consensus?

What do you guys think?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast