GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 layer board ECU removal - for chipping

Default 2 layer board ECU removal - for chipping

i drive a 520i M50 engine manual. when i opened up the ecu, it is a 2 layer board.

i have difficulty removing the upper board - i'm stuck at the stage where you need to "pry" the it away from the connector side of the wiring harness.

i have read many postings but i'm not sure where and what else is preventing the upper board from being eased out.

is there an alternative way to open the 2 boards - like opening the bottom base plate ?

its a bia but theres these little clips where the connector connects that need to be pushed in and then you need to pry the board alll the way up and pull out. its a pain but it comes out

Quote Originally Posted by pyro
    its a bia but theres these little clips where the connector connects that need to be pushed in and then you need to pry the board alll the way up and pull out. its a pain but it comes out
    what does these clips looks like - can someone draw me a rough diagram how it locks the thing - it's all dark in the connector area so it's hard to visualize where to push and in what direction.

the top board has its own pins where the connector connects... at each end there is a clip clip>[-----------------------]<clip

3 clips or "through clips" they are plastic arrows that you have to back off the arroww parts. Some boards are real tight even after removing the arrow clip deals as mine was. dont bend the board as much as you think you need to, its just hung up. my first time took an gour, now it takes 10 minutes to switch a chip from the time I open the hood.

Patience man.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

folks, i'm confused. pyro says two clips and jeff says 3 clips.

i would really be much obliged if someone can post me some diagrams or pictures of what these clips look like and where they are located.

The first time I did it I undid the clips it felt like it was stuck. Then I discovered that the ribbon cable that joins the two halves is very stiff. I was babying it, and as Jeff said, after you do it once and get a feeling for the pressure you need, it's easy.

Check this link out for some pictures. Its not the same ecu but you'll get the idea. http://www.turnermotorsport.com/pages/chip_id_v8.htm
    Last edited by tim; 12-31-2005 at 04:44 AM.
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

oh yeah, theres also a torx screw that needs to be removed.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

those clips, its tricky to make shure both of them are pressed in at the same time. I just broke them off to make it eazyer next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by pyro
    those clips, its tricky to make shure both of them are pressed in at the same time. I just broke them off to make it eazyer next time.
    pyro, pressed to the side (left & right following the arrow) or pressed to the inside (90 degrees to the direction of the arrow).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast