GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: reverse wont work

Default reverse wont work

my wife has a 323 and its an automatic. It wont go in reverse. any ideas what could be causesing the problems? Also her keyless entry has been on the frits and she has a blinder that keeps going out then coming back on. Could this be related to an eletrical issue? thanks and im glad i found this forum.

What year is the car? How many miles? What country was it made for?

The key may need a new battery or it may need to be replaced; it's a relatively common problem.

What is a blinder?

best, whit
    Last edited by Kalevera; 12-30-2005 at 07:07 PM.

Default REverse wont work

I Have a 2000 323i with 104,000 miles and I am having the same problem. It doesn't happen all the time, And I took it to the mechanic today and he couldn't find anything wrong with it even in the car's computer system. Does anybody know what is the cause of this problem with the reverse?????

Quote Originally Posted by khristone
    I Have a 2000 323i with 104,000 miles and I am having the same problem. It doesn't happen all the time, And I took it to the mechanic today and he couldn't find anything wrong with it even in the car's computer system. Does anybody know what is the cause of this problem with the reverse?????
    Assuming the car has a ZF 5hp-19, there are a few documented problems. A few models have fluid thermostats that can get stuck and overheat the trans (burnt odor/fluid and metallic noise). You shouldn't drive the car until the issue has been worked out, however. Most people don't realize that the so called "lifetime" trans fluid needs to be changed every 70k miles or so. 30k is even better. If the car has consistently been dealer serviced, then we've probably found the source of the problem. Given that there are no fault codes in the DME/EGS/ABS, I'll wager that the D/G drum is cracking or blown. Take this to someone who knows what they're doing -- no AAMCO, no gas station garage type places. If my diagnosis is anything like correct, the issue will only get worse and do more damage. A dealer will sell you a transmission, a good shop will replace what needs to be replaced, because the rest of the internals on that trans are said to be good for 200k.

Find a good shop on http://www.iaibmvsp.org.

best, whit

Default thanks

I just boughthat car and I still can take a diferent one...