GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: umm.... hello?

Default umm.... hello?

Hey - im posting on the board again

And i have to do so and to break from my college work because my car has a problem...

And the problem is: The lower right beam is out and why is it out - lightbulb? - no; fuse? - NO; Wires? - Apparently not... it detects that there is no bulb in there if i take it out (*gong* "low beam"), bulb itself is good (checked it), it just wont light up the damn thing... Has anyone ever had a problem like that?

Also - my blower motor started squeaking and totally anihilated the fuse, the damn thing almost caught fire (from the looks of it)... Is there an easy way to fix that? - im assuming the resistance on the thing is through the roof

-Thank you all... Artem
    Last edited by ArtemLepilov; 12-28-2005 at 09:59 AM.

Hello....

Does it detect the bulb in there when you have it in? My silly question of the day is... have you tired the bulb from the other side....?

On the blower moter.. have fun... it is not a easy thing to get to ...

Charles
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

Quote Originally Posted by dacoyote
    Hello....

Does it detect the bulb in there when you have it in? My silly question of the day is... have you tired the bulb from the other side....?

On the blower moter.. have fun... it is not a easy thing to get to ...

Charles

Yes, it detects the bulb when i have it in. Its when the bulb us out it tells me that ther's no bulb - hence i believe the wiring is not a problem.

And i havent tried the swapping the sides yet... so i can try doing that today but i cant see how that would solve the problem, given that the bulb is working.

Ill do the blower motor sometime next summer then, for now ill hope that replacing the fuse will do the trick and the motor wont blow it again...

-Artem

Default Its most likely the LKM, if you check this link to

Bruno's site it will show you how to resolder/repair

Quote Originally Posted by ArtemLepilov
    Yes, it detects the bulb when i have it in. Its when the bulb us out it tells me that ther's no bulb - hence i believe the wiring is not a problem.

And i havent tried the swapping the sides yet... so i can try doing that today but i cant see how that would solve the problem, given that the bulb is working.

Ill do the blower motor sometime next summer then, for now ill hope that replacing the fuse will do the trick and the motor wont blow it again...

-Artem

Will try the LKM repair and I'll let you all know if it works or not

Thank you all...

-Artem

Blower motors are balanced at the factory and often start squeaking after one side has become unbalanced. Typically, this is due to a rodent making a nest in one of the squirrel cages. Replacement is the only viable option; be wary of buying a used blower motor that hasn't been tested -- it could very well have the same issue. I always bench test them prior to the install for that same reason. All E31/32/34 use the same motor, and replacement shouldn't take more than 5 hours if you spend a lot of time on it (ie - replace all cut cable ties, vacuum the heater box).

best, whit

I would not be afraid of the blower motor. Just did this 3 weeks ago. 1 hour of swearing took care of it--well that and $208 from BMA. No nest in there--in fact not much of anything, but I bet the bearings do get a little pissed off after 15 years of running. The hardest part was the clasp that holds the motor in. I put this job off forever because my E28 blower was in the worst position ever. Imagine hanging a blower from a piece of monofilament and then building the car around it.

ok, I resoldered the LKM, put it back in - nothing is different I am a bit confused here... I do not know what to do now. Bulb is working, computer tells me if the bulb is there (so it cant be the wires...)

Is there anything else i can do?

Thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by ArtemLepilov
    ok, I resoldered the LKM, put it back in - nothing is different I am a bit confused here... I do not know what to do now. Bulb is working, computer tells me if the bulb is there (so it cant be the wires...)

Is there anything else i can do?

Thank you all
    I hate to come back to this.. but how did you test the bulb?

Did you test the jack up front to confirm you are getting 12volts?
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

Quote Originally Posted by dacoyote
    I hate to come back to this.. but how did you test the bulb?

Did you test the jack up front to confirm you are getting 12volts?
    I put the headlight bulb in the foglight socket and it lit up, while the lightbulb was out of the low beam socket the computer found that it was not there and told me "low beam"

I somehow doubt I am getting any voltage on the low beam socket since the bulb is not lighting up in it. I just have no idea what it can possibly be, and I dont have a way to test the LKM for sure cause i dont have a spare unit.