GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Need window help.

Default Need window help. Bill R can you help?

I have a 95 540 and I am having issues with drivers front window. It will roll down fine. Will not go back up without help, gets to a point and 'Clicks'.
    Took the door panel off and window will roll up more easily but still hits certain points where it will stop all together. Ive done some searching and from what I can tell I would assume this is the regulator and possible the motor? Please advise. Parts Cost? New? Used?
    Thanks
    Drew
    Last edited by dbals; 12-29-2005 at 05:16 AM. Reason: need bill r to see

Im pretty sure its the regulator deal, I think Bill R has the pics of the broken parts but the whole deal needs to be replaced. Be real careful you dont lose a hand if the spring unwinds on you.

Im not real versed on this one but it will give you a bump to the top!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

You can start by checking for loose items to see if anything's binding.

If the window's half down, can you rock the pane fore and aft? If so, examine the track mechanisms. There are some replaceable plastic guides at the base of the scissor to check. There are also some mounting and adjusting bolts to make sure are tight.

Otherwise, try checking the archives. Jeff's right - Bill's posted some regulator replacement instructions. I think you'll want to hope that's not your problem.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

bump

Default Its a broken tooth on the regulator as others have suggested, the

only fix for it is a new regulator

I'm not sure of a current price since i've been doing a lot of e46's lately and the prices run together in my head... I think from Patrick at bma it was around 135 for the assembly , regulator plus motor. I would also order new sliding blocks for the window while your at it. And use duct tape on the outside of the window to hold it up after you unfasten it from the regulator. You run a couple of strips of duct tape down the outside of the window while holding the window all the way up, then you wrap the ducttape around the top of the door, i use 3 strips on most windows, This will keep the window up out of the way and by taping the outside you don't screw up any window tint that may be on the inside of the glass. Here's a few pics.

Its not worth messing around with used,Patrick has the new complete with motor for a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by dbals
    I have a 95 540 and I am having issues with drivers front window. It will roll down fine. Will not go back up without help, gets to a point and 'Clicks'.
    Took the door panel off and window will roll up more easily but still hits certain points where it will stop all together. Ive done some searching and from what I can tell I would assume this is the regulator and possible the motor? Please advise. Parts Cost? New? Used?
    Thanks
    Drew

Thanks Bill.