GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: what happened at RoadFly

Default OT: what happened at RoadFly

i always see in posts, "thats why we left roadfly." what happened, i was not yet a member. sounds like american colinists, leaving unfair rule or somthing to that matter. all i know is that when i did a search to find out about e34's, this was the most knowlageable looking one.

Well, there are some reasons. I am still active there but it is getting more and more quiet there.
    Many people from there moved to here on the E34 5 series board, the owners of the E32 and E38 moved to Bimmerboard. I do not know about the 3 series and other models, but for example in that area Bimmerboard is growing. E34 is here.
    The problem is probably the administration. They delete postings, do not allow the word bimmerboard, you just see [OPPS] when you link a repair, now they even delete tinyurl links, as many people used tinyurl to link bimmerboard links. So even my own homepage was always [oopsed] as I use tinyurl because of the long original URL.
    Recently I could not lock in. Sent a email to the administration about the problem got an automated reply that every day they get about 1.000 emails and cannot reply individually, should look here and check there to find out by myself.
    They cannot win the battle against new boards with such actions.
    And apparently they still do not know that the people active on the board make a good board, not the admins. The admins are there to run the board, to keep it up to date, but it is not their duty to interfere so much.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Well, there are some reasons. I am still active there but it is getting more and more quiet there.
    Many people from there moved to here on the E34 5 series board, the owners of the E32 and E38 moved to Bimmerboard. I do not know about the 3 series and other models, but for example in that area Bimmerboard is growing. E34 is here.
    The problem is probably the administration. They delete postings, do not allow the word bimmerboard, you just see [OPPS] when you link a repair, now they even delete tinyurl links, as many people used tinyurl to link bimmerboard links. So even my own homepage was always [oopsed] as I use tinyurl because of the long original URL.
    Recently I could not lock in. Sent a email to the administration about the problem got an automated reply that every day they get about 1.000 emails and cannot reply individually, should look here and check there to find out by myself.
    They cannot win the battle against new boards with such actions.
    And apparently they still do not know that the people active on the board make a good board, not the admins. The admins are there to run the board, to keep it up to date, but it is not their duty to interfere so much.
    So not unlike the American colonists at all, then.

Give us Bimmers or give us death!

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

They were very heavy handed and protective of their advertisers. I was banned on two different occasions when I put BMA in a response as a good source for parts. Some folks, who later became the foundation of this board, didn't like the treatment and bolted in late 2003.

Curt.
    Curt.

1994 530iT (gone but not forgotten since I see it every day!)
    1991 M5

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Anderson
    They were very heavy handed and protective of their advertisers.
    That attitude is really lame. And look where it got them? Everyone left. Nice job. I'm sure their advertisers are thrilled now.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

bma bma bma yay im still here

I use Roadfly as well as Bimmerboard, here, the M5 Board. I collect lots of information from which to base a decision. I am still active there but - the quality of the users and the general demeanor is ugly. The users there are more interested in being "right" about something than helpful.

And they get pretty nasty when you challenge a post. They see the forum there as some sort of deathmatch where they have to have the ONLY right answer that they defend to the death - sometimes right, More often wrong.

Thats my opinion
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

Right on the money Johntee. Happy Holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Anderson
    They were very heavy handed and protective of their advertisers. I was banned on two different occasions when I put BMA in a response as a good source for parts. Some folks, who later became the foundation of this board, didn't like the treatment and bolted in late 2003.

Curt.
    I think I was using the old board in 2002. Can't be certain, but I think the revolutionaries bolted earlier. Lets start a flame throwing war over the date

Merry Christmas,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Default I use/enjoy both boards

In general so I get different/range of responses to questions. As others have mentioned I also look for a variety of opinions before making decisions. I came on both boards apparently after " the deflection", so this info is news to me. I will admit some of the responses on Roadfly "border" on, shall we say, ill informed. Even so, I enjoy both boards.

Quote Originally Posted by kyleN20
    i always see in posts, "thats why we left roadfly." what happened, i was not yet a member. sounds like american colinists, leaving unfair rule or somthing to that matter. all i know is that when i did a search to find out about e34's, this was the most knowlageable looking one.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast