GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keyless entry options

Default Keyless entry options

when i bought my car it had aftermarket keyless entry, but my roomate lost my only clicker, i was thinking of replacing it with the factory keyless or one from bmwalarm.com (i like their flip key transmitters). But the website only says that their system will work with 92-95. Do the earlier models not have this plug and play option or what?

Black/Black '90 535IM..... '65 Cal look vw bug

no you just have to find all of the wires yourself. My 1991 didn't have that little connector under the rear seat but my 92 did.

Quote Originally Posted by casurfer911
    when i bought my car it had aftermarket keyless entry, but my roomate lost my only clicker, i was thinking of replacing it with the factory keyless or one from bmwalarm.com (i like their flip key transmitters). But the website only says that their system will work with 92-95. Do the earlier models not have this plug and play option or what?
    BMW has used several different types of keyless entry remotes...and in the late 80s/early 90s...it used an infrared (IR) system. It was easy to tell if you have this system installed...you will have a small black nub button next to the sunroof switch (see pic below). If you have this, more than likely you have all the components to use it once you get the "switchblade" IR remote.

I did a search and typed in "infrared" to pull up this old discussion of the IR keyless entry system that was used from around 1988-1991. In 1992-93 BMW switched over to RF (radio frequency) technology..and in the e34 that would be the rectangular 3 button remote with the BMW/Alpine control unit under the rear seat. (probably the plug-in-play system you refer to)

Click the following link and scroll down to post #4, #5, and #6 for more clarification on how to program and the parts for the IR system:http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...38026#poststop
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

We installed the factory Alpine system into a euro M5 that came with the factory IR setup. It didn't seem like that much work, but I didn't do the job.

All US spec E34s will have the IR (green) harness under the rear seat, which can be used in conjunction with the Alpine box for keyless entry. But, it'll be much easier to splice in an aftermarket system than cutting the harness and installing the alpine box.

best, whit
    Last edited by Kalevera; 12-23-2005 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    We installed the factory Alpine system into a euro M5 that came with the factory IR setup. It didn't seem like that much work, but I didn't do the job.

All US spec E34s will have the IR (green) harness under the rear seat, which can be used in conjunction with the Alpine box for keyless entry. But, it'll be much easier to splice in an aftermarket system than cutting the harness and installing the alpine box.

best, whit
    I wonder if you can point me in the right direction here. My car is a '92 525 with a mfg date of 10/91. This is what I have found under my rear seat:

I can't seem to pinpoint anything that matches ny descriptions for keyless entry harnesses. Just those two plugs who's purpose I have yet to figure out.
    Last edited by Guapo; 12-23-2005 at 06:39 PM. Reason: speeling error

Sorry, I was being yelled at by the female/had to run out the door, so I didn't get to complete the thought. All *early* US spec E34s should have the green IR connector. Early meaning pre '92, I don't know the cutoff.

The connectors pictured are for the rear power sunblind (black) and I believe the white one is for heated seats or rear power headrests. The connector you're looking for, if there, may be buried under the distribution block.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Sorry, I was being yelled at by the female/had to run out the door, so I didn't get to complete the thought. All *early* US spec E34s should have the green IR connector. Early meaning pre '92, I don't know the cutoff.

The connectors pictured are for the rear power sunblind (black) and I believe the white one is for heated seats or rear power headrests. The connector you're looking for, if there, may be buried under the distribution block.

best, whit
    Ah, gotcha. I wonder if it is possible too that it is behind the glove box? Any insight on what cars may have had it located there?

And ... I can relate to the female issue

If it's in the front of the car, it'll be behind the driver knee bolster (by the gong), but I've only seen that location used on E32s, when the dealer hacks would install them.

best, whit

no its next to the batrie i just installd one there the other day works like a charm its the 12 pin connector

perhaps...a pic might help? Here's one pic of the BMW/Alpine RF (radio frequency) keyless entry system...note the "green" harness connected at the top of the control unit. The e34 glass breakage sensor & status indicator is usually mounted on the small panel beneath the rear air vent at the end of the ctr console...the e32 had these two items on the dash to the right of the steering wheel.

Click the link to my cardomain website for a few more images and instructions for this system: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/739005/3

Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast