GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quarter of a million!

All Around the World Guest

Default Quarter of a million!

Ive almost reached the golden 250,000 mile mark in my 530 now! Anyone got any higher?

Default Dave has more, but on a 525

250k may be the most we've seen on a 530; but we very much want to know if you have the original engine block? I'm pretty sure no one on this board has over 200k on Nikasil.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/member.php?u=125

Quote Originally Posted by All Around the World
    Ive almost reached the golden 250,000 mile mark in my 530 now! Anyone got any higher?
    Last edited by G Feller; 03-10-2004 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Add URL

What do you do for a living to accumulate that kind of mileage?

All around the world Guest

Car still has ORIGINAL engine - although did require head gasket last year. Car is almost immaculate, runs like a dream - purrs like brand new. It has the full beige interior, and is black with full se sports trim. Ive never seen one better for the age - and to be honest makes most of the later models ive seen look plain ordinary too!!
    And who said UK cars couldnt last the weather!!!

All around the world Guest

Full beige LEATHER trim that is of course.
    Anyone else done more miles? Ill put a pic on cardomain.com as soon as i get one sorted so you can see the proof!!

Default So it's nikosil, but has always had Euro-gas.

Quote Originally Posted by All around the world
    Car still has ORIGINAL engine - although did require head gasket last year. Car is almost immaculate, runs like a dream - purrs like brand new. It has the full beige interior, and is black with full se sports trim. Ive never seen one better for the age - and to be honest makes most of the later models ive seen look plain ordinary too!!
    And who said UK cars couldnt last the weather!!!
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

Im not too technical and pretty new to the BM scene.. I presume Nikosil is the original spec engine?
    And yes car has always operated in UK... and up to recently regulally completed the trip from POOLE ( DORSET/ SOUTHERN ENGLAND), to SCOTLAND, on a weekly basis. 350+ miles each way.

Default Oh, you have a 6-cylinder engine . . .

Nikasil didn't rear its ugly head in BMW automobiles until 1993 or so. I know that in the UK, the 6-cylinder M30 engine was available with a smaller-bore 3 liter capacity, correct? Thus your 1988 530.

In the US, many 1993-1996 V8 engines (as seen in the '93-'95 530 and 540) were made with a Nickel alloy that reacted badly with the high sulfur content of US gas. Many of these failed, so it is a curiosity for us in the US to know of one with high mileage, that's why I got so excited.

There are several people on this board with 300k miles or so, but not guys who post every day I don't think. I guess they are too busy driving their cars.

Quote Originally Posted by ZimZimmer
    Im not too technical and pretty new to the BM scene.. I presume Nikosil is the original spec engine?
    And yes car has always operated in UK... and up to recently regulally completed the trip from POOLE ( DORSET/ SOUTHERN ENGLAND), to SCOTLAND, on a weekly basis. 350+ miles each way.
    Last edited by G Feller; 03-10-2004 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Ahhh...held your breath for second there, huh Greg?..

Good explanation and interesting in that I never knew about the Euro 530/6's. Another nugget of wisdom to mentally bookmark. And Zim, it sounds like you've had quite a lot of commuting to do on a regular basis, but you had a heck of a nice ride to do it in. Smooth, comfy, good trunk room.....It probably wasn't too bad every week.

Brian C.
    '95 525ia
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

James Guest

Default 285k miles on orig engine/tranny. 89 525i

Quote Originally Posted by All Around the World

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast