GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Glove Box in E34

Default Broken Glove Box in E34

I have an 89 E34 and Im having problems with the glove box.. At one point I thought I locked it but not sure... The problem is in the handle...

I think it is locked and the handle has no pressure on it so its obviously broken.. the handle does nothing when I pull up on it with no resistence.

So now everything I need for the car ( TItle, papers, documents ) is in the glove box.. Its a nice car so I dont want to rip up the origional box... any suggestions? Doesnt this have a lock on it??? COuld I call a lock smith?

Thanks for the ideas guys!!!

J. Perrymon

Can't you just release the clips at the back of the glove box and let the back fall down so you can get to your documents?

Ian

You can only open the locked glove box with the main key, but not with the valet key. The valet key is only for the doors but not for glove box and trunk lock.

i dont think so, when you release the clips the glove box is still held in by something, cant remember.

my latch mechanism broke and i got it open by prying from the top and sliding a butterknife in the latch to unlock. it took a lot of finesse..be careful or you will crck the plastic the box is made of. then i replaced the inside of the latch with one from an e30 i think. i was able to keep the original outside latch handle and lock cylinder
    -Pekka

you the man shogun, better make sure its actually unlocked before you start prying
    -Pekka

Quote Originally Posted by peks
    you the man shogun, better make sure its actually unlocked before you start prying

Thanks guys... I'll see what I can do... I tried before but didnt have any luck.

I think something is wrong with the latch/ lock mechanism....

I don't want to break it Sure it won't be cheap to replace the entire glove box.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by peks
    i dont think so, when you release the clips the glove box is still held in by something, cant remember.

my latch mechanism broke and i got it open by prying from the top and sliding a butterknife in the latch to unlock. it took a lot of finesse..be careful or you will crck the plastic the box is made of. then i replaced the inside of the latch with one from an e30 i think. i was able to keep the original outside latch handle and lock cylinder

Any tips for using the butter knife to open it? Im guessing the lock mechanism is verticle locking up into the dash?

JP

Default What you describe is the normal behavior when ...

glove box is locked. I know, because my baby girl has broken it twice because she pull it hard thinking that the operation is after the resistance free travel of the handle. When it is unlocked, the key hole is in the horizontal position and there is no resistance free travel.

If you have the key lock damaged and can not get it to the horizontal position, or if it is broken and even at horizontal position is behaving like if locked, then you may pull hard and break part # 2 in the picture. It breaks at the hinges, (I have glued it twice and still working fine).

Picture

Once it is broken and removed, you just have to push down the lever, the one coming from the right side, below the center line of the mechanism.

If you would have ever disassemble the lock before, you would know about the lever, so playing around with a thin hook, might let you to pull down the lever without removing the part # 2.

If you are not in a hurry, tonight, I can remove part #2 in mine and take a picture for you.

Javier

Default Careful there! The latches protrude out the sides, not the top.

Think of it as a cylinder on the door that goes into the keeper on the dash. The two catches go out the sides of the cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by E34inFlorida
    Any tips for using the butter knife to open it? Im guessing the lock mechanism is verticle locking up into the dash?

JP
    Mark Hall
    '95 525iA EAT chipped (just one now )
    '98 528iA

My handle came off on mine. Everything still works fine, just can't figure out how to get it back on. Appears that there is supposed to be some pins or something that go into the handle (part #2) from each side to hold it into the metal bracket. Can anyone tell me what's supposed to be in there?

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2000 323iT - UUC BBK, PSS9 Coilovers
    2005 GMC HD Crew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast