GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 20,000 miles on Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF and still ticking

Default 20,000 miles on Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF and still ticking

I used to post under new540iowner awhile back. As some of you remember I was one of the red-headed stepchildren that went against convential thinking regarding transmission fluid and won. No I'm not here to brag but thought I would chime in since I recently read a thread regarding lifetime ATF. For those of you who don't remember, I decided to use Redline D4 ATF and then Pennzoil MVATF in my 540's 5HP30. After 20,000 miles on an alternate fluid, the transmission shifts better and I've eliminated an annoying slip between 2nd and 3rd gear. Looking back, I think the reason I had problems with the Redline D4 fluid (major slip and higher RPMs in 2nd gear I think) was because I didn't reset the transmission computer. The Redline D4 ATF is a thinner ATF than the Shell LA2634 and Pennzoil MVATF (look at the viscosity indexes). As such, I think the trans computer was accustomed to a certain shift pressure with the Shell/Pennzoil fluid. Anyways, hope this post helps someone out there contemplating the long-term effects of an alternate ATF on the 5HP30.

Kickass! you are the winner of a brand new 2006 BMW of your choice, please contact our dealership representitive Ed for your choice of model and color!
    Again Congratulations!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Thanks but i'll stick with the approved fluids in my

48k miles e46, for a relatively small difference in cost in terms of the life of the transmission, i'd rather use the correct fluid

Quote Originally Posted by Nikasilaholic
    I used to post under new540iowner awhile back. As some of you remember I was one of the red-headed stepchildren that went against convential thinking regarding transmission fluid and won. No I'm not here to brag but thought I would chime in since I recently read a thread regarding lifetime ATF. For those of you who don't remember, I decided to use Redline D4 ATF and then Pennzoil MVATF in my 540's 5HP30. After 20,000 miles on an alternate fluid, the transmission shifts better and I've eliminated an annoying slip between 2nd and 3rd gear. Looking back, I think the reason I had problems with the Redline D4 fluid (major slip and higher RPMs in 2nd gear I think) was because I didn't reset the transmission computer. The Redline D4 ATF is a thinner ATF than the Shell LA2634 and Pennzoil MVATF (look at the viscosity indexes). As such, I think the trans computer was accustomed to a certain shift pressure with the Shell/Pennzoil fluid. Anyways, hope this post helps someone out there contemplating the long-term effects of an alternate ATF on the 5HP30.

Good work. I had to read it a few times because I thought you had a problem with your transmission ticking
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

quite an accomplishment ...

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    Kickass! you are the winner of a brand new 2006 BMW of your choice, please contact our dealership representitive Ed for your choice of model and color!
    Again Congratulations!
    Darn... I would be willing to do the same if it got me a new 2006 M5 coupe....
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

Default What was the mileage when you started your test?

When was the first change of your tranny fluid? Was it after 100,000 miles? Or, had you been regularly changing it prior to the 100,000 mile mark?

We have a little poll going regarding the results of first fluid changes after 100,000 miles. Does Changing Lifetime Fluid Kill Transmissions?

First change was at 107,000 miles. After the first change with Redline D4 ATF, the occasional slip from 2nd to 3rd went away. The D4 fluid was a little
    too light IMO since the transmission would have a delayed harsh shift once in a while. After switching to Pennzoil MVATF at 111,000 miles, no problems whatsoever. The shifts with the Pennzoil MVATF are not as smooth as the Redline but more like the original fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge
    When was the first change of your tranny fluid? Was it after 100,000 miles? Or, had you been regularly changing it prior to the 100,000 mile mark?

We have a little poll going regarding the results of first fluid changes after 100,000 miles. Does Changing Lifetime Fluid Kill Transmissions?