GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: my 750 is in limpmode

Default my 750 is in limpmode

First time on my own car since I bought it in 1994. 750iL 11/88 VIN 3055570.
    My wife called me on Monday at work that the car is moving only up to 1.500 RPM and very slow speed, accell like a snail.
    In the evening my DIY buddy Take rushed to my home (I have all my tools and the PEAKE at our other cars place, but Take's car looks like a mobile car service center with all tools in the trunk filled up to the lid)
    and we worked till 2 AM.
    Probs: cluster shows only red in the check control for mileage counter, day counter, gear, mode.
    EML light does not come on when ignition is in position 2.
    Passenger side doorlock inoperate in unlock position but can hear the motor try to lock, central locking not possible from drivers door, but only from pass door, which does not lock.
    Heater/blower fan works always on one speed from ignition in position 2, in emergency position it blows strong. But cannot adjust and switch off.
    EML light does not come on although the engine runs in limpmode.
    Fuel smell, both sides run as we checked it by removing the plugs from the MAF's one by one.
    Cluster: only the RPM speed works, rest is dead such as temp indicator, fuel etc.
    Battery/charging tested and found o.k. at test with key out, key in ignition, and while running in idle.

Then we changed one after one and all together etc:
    Cluster complete, checked the fuses, also fuse 31 under drivers seat as this is in charge for the pass door lock, changed the fuse also, changed GM, RM, EML control module, (ran engine with removed CCM),

Sword we also have some as spare, but due to time probs we could not change that. That will hopefully solve the blower fan problem. If not, we can also change the IHKA control panel as well as the IHKA control module as we have plenty of spare parts.

But no improvement at all on these strange problems.
    As we have to work daytime, the PEAKE tool is far away, and it is cold, we decided at 2 AM to stop and send my wife to BMW for a diagnosis readout.
    And there the car is parked now since Tuesday, they are busy and may have no time to do the DIS check soon , so that we can proceed. (will know when I come home today from business trip)
    Hairywithit and Take will come tomorrow again and we hope that we can continue to check and repair, once the car is diagnozed, as we ran out of ideas. All parts changed, no progress.
    Any ideas?
    I am now assuming that they did not connect a/some wires properly 2 month ago when engine and trans were out and that this may cause the problem. We will see.
    Just lucky that we have all the parts here for swopping and testing. If BMW dealer would have done the same and changed some of these expensive parts, that would be a heavy bill.
    We will get the car back after the diagnosis, so that we know where to continue and do not loose too much time by searching w/o a DIS diagnosis tool.
    Any proposals/ideas what to check/change/swop/repair?

shogun "in limpmode"

"I like subways in Tokyo"

Default back on the road again

Wow, that took a long time, but we could only check in evenings after work in the cold.
    No response from PEAKE, only error code. No DIS possible, same result.

Then started to check the ECU pinouts one after the other, lot of work. Visually it looked all o.k, but there were wires becoming loose from below the fuse box/e-box. Probably cause by vibrations over 18 years in use.

One of my not so favourable fields, wished I had Javier here for such things, he could have probably told me after 5 minutes systematically checking what's wrong and which wire connection.

Here is a product in the States that probably should be used throughout the electrical system of our cars as they are appoaching 12-18 years of use. It's called "Stabilant 22". Others who have used it here say the difference is incredible. Here's a link that tells about it. http://www.stabilant.com/techt02h.htm

Glad you got the 750 back on the road.

Jr

Hey glad to hear you got your car back... If shogun doesn't know, who does?

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    Here is a product in the States that probably should be used throughout the electrical system of our cars as they are appoaching 12-18 years of use. It's called "Stabilant 22". Others who have used it here say the difference is incredible. Here's a link that tells about it. http://www.stabilant.com/techt02h.htm

Glad you got the 750 back on the road.

Jr
    Jr. I didn't realize Canada was absorbed by the States already. I must have been into the beer that day.

"Stabilants are a product of Dayton Wright research & development and are made in Canada"
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Default glad you're rollin in the 5.0 again... BMW 5.0.

...last time i was on tokyo subways was in winter, all i kept seeing was long beautiful black hair, tall leather boots, about 4 inches of leg flesh, then a mini-skirt. wouldn't know if the style has changed

Quote Originally Posted by RobPatt
    ...last time i was on tokyo subways was in winter, all i kept seeing was long beautiful black hair, tall leather boots, about 4 inches of leg flesh, then a mini-skirt. wouldn't know if the style has changed
    Still the same here, and actually I drive every day with the subway, as it is so convenient and faster than by car, and no problems with parking.

BTW: cables with pin 17 and 20 going to the diagnosis box did not have contact.
    Last edited by shogun; 12-28-2005 at 10:19 PM.

Default Sorry to have missed all this fun, though ...

looks more as a nightmare.

I still don't get what was the problem, nor this last note:

BTW: cables with pin 17 and 20 going to the diagnosis box did not have contact.

Javier