GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to look for in a used 5 series

Default What to look for in a used 5 series

Hi BMW freaks.
    I have been a huge Honda fan for many years but have now got the urge to move onto serious German metal.
    My dad has owned 3 BM's starting with his first new car in 1982, a 528i. It was one of the first 200 of the new body style imported into Australia so he got a numbered silver keychain with the car. When I turned 18 in 1986 Dad still had this car and let me drive it on occasion, I guess thats how it all started. My first love as a young adult was the 635csi.
    He sold the 528i in 2000 and bought a 325i, most of the family get sick of his BMW rants. Since then he bought an X5 diesel to tow his camper and absolutely loves it. (then again there is no BMW Dad does not like) He has the 3 series also.
    So onto me, I am in the process of selling my Acura CLS and Yamaha sport bike to buy an older 5 series and pay for it outright (no more car payments is the goal) This should give me about $6000 to spend.
    As a newbee to BMW (sort of) I am wondering what to look for in a used Beemer. Is there a model to avoid? certian troubles to look for? What would you buy with $6000, oh and I want a manual tranny.
    Rock on Beemer freaks.

for 6k i think you can get a pretty good 535.. not exactly sure how that relates to aussie dollars or prices..

read the sticky for newbies and try bmwe34.net
    -Pekka

look for somthing called a "m5" those or decent ones, haha. personally i would take my 6 grand and look for a post 95 525i with a 5speed, very nice setup.

$6K AUD ($4.5K USD) is at the bottom end of the market for an E34 in Oz.
    You may fluke it and get something usable at that price but not likely unless the previous owner got scared of a problem that was smaller than he thought and sold it cheap thinking it was going to cost big $$$'s to rectify. This happens occasionally with cars like these but you have to be in the right place at the right time.

Basically you either spend extra up front and less down the track or less up front and more down the track.
    My philosophy is buy the best one you can afford and then maintain it. (If you can only afford a shitheap then BMW ownership is not for you!)

I would think somewhere between $10 to $15k AUD should get something good, BUT, you need to do your homework and look at plenty before you hand over your cash.
    The problem is that older prestige cars can often become neglected because their owners can't afford proper maintenance and if that is the case walk away and keep looking.
    Never buy a Euro car on an impulse, not unless you have plenty of cash to burn! - Good Luck!!

BTW I paid just under $15k AUD for mine 12 months ago. With the increase in fuel prices car values have dropped so mine is probably worth close to $12k now. But after looking at many E34's since I bought it, I can say that it probably ranks in the top 10% condition wise of those I've seen. So basically you get what you pay for!
    Last edited by pundit; 12-21-2005 at 01:49 PM.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

i agree with Pundit 6k may be a bit short but have a good look around i got mine for 7.5k at auction- one owner, low klms, very good condition the previous owner just wanted to move on to something else and wasnt too concerned about price, so they are out there and as pundit said with the price of petrol going up more have appeared on the market - good luck

kev535i south oz

recently in unique cars at a non bm dealer i saw a 535i manual for $7500 and an auto 530 for about 6500. both in sydney. They are out there but not many at that price. If u r mechanically minded then its not so much a problem as long as the engine and box are ok. Basics for most of our cars at this age are tranny and engine mounts, rotors,radiators. ur gonna have to get under it before u buy it. Check for leaks amongst master cylinder, abs unit etc. these are killers to replace$$$$$$. check driveline. I cant say Ive ever seen a neglected example. There is much I do not know and what ive mentioned is only what i have had to do myself so im sure there is an endless list that others more qailified to comment on could suggest. If I had to buy again i would make it an oz wide search and consider vehicles in every state. This car is either going to be a joy for many years and cost u a bit of money or a pian in the ass and cost u heaps and if u dont get the right one ull regret it for years to come. What year and model are you hoping for? good luck
    Last edited by mattyb; 12-21-2005 at 02:19 PM.

Can we trade dads?

also get the vin of any potential vehicle and call the local bm dealer. they can give a history of any bm dealer work and servicng history available for the vehicle. Get to know your local stealer ur gonna need em sooner or later

Owning a older BMW on a budget requires you to be able to carry out most of the general maintenance work yourself. That's one of the reasons forums like these are useful. The cost of a 'cheap' car can blow out exponentially by thousands of $$$'s in a very short time if major problems surface after you've bought it and you put yourself at the mercy of a 'stealer' (derogoratory term for dealer). The main thing is not to buy a lemon no matter how cheap it is.
    Last edited by pundit; 12-21-2005 at 02:23 PM.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast