GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '91 525i +battery terminal melted through ??

Default '91 525i +battery terminal melted through ??

I went out to start my car this morning and nothing happened. No lights, no sounds, no power whatsoever. I checked under the hood to find that the battery terminal on the positive side had melted into two parts (the clamp around the post and the clamp around the wires). What should I make of this?

Also, if anybody can recommend a good shop in the Seattle area I would appreciate it.

Well I just talked to a friend and he said the battery might be messed up and suggested I try a new one. If that doesn't work, he said to check out the alternator. I have no clue how to diagnose but can probably figure out how to fix things once I know what is wrong. Do these seem like logical steps to figure out what the problems is?

It sounds like you got something farked up....

I wouldn't trust the battery anymore, get the car going and see what the voltage is.. there is a way to unlock the obc to see what the voltage is.
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

Default I would say that yes, the battery is probably fried, but the

cause of the problem quite possibly the battery terminal itself. It sounds like someone had put a replacement cable end on your battery cable from what your describing, if there's any corrosion or oxidation there(which there frequently is on these aftermarket cable clamp things) then you could have an area of very high resistance which heated up under load and melted .. Always make sure the battery terminals are clean and the cable ends are clean with no corrosion/oxidation/buildup first before condemning any other parts.

Quote Originally Posted by kalsman
    Well I just talked to a friend and he said the battery might be messed up and suggested I try a new one. If that doesn't work, he said to check out the alternator. I have no clue how to diagnose but can probably figure out how to fix things once I know what is wrong. Do these seem like logical steps to figure out what the problems is?

If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

Thanks for the reply. I am almost positive this is the problem. Looking at the 3 cables that go to the + terminal I can see that all 3 are corroded and the main cable is bare (coating melted off) about 5 inches. Is this something I can take care of myself or should I take it to an auto electric shop to have all of the cables replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    cause of the problem quite possibly the battery terminal itself. It sounds like someone had put a replacement cable end on your battery cable from what your describing, if there's any corrosion or oxidation there(which there frequently is on these aftermarket cable clamp things) then you could have an area of very high resistance which heated up under load and melted .. Always make sure the battery terminals are clean and the cable ends are clean with no corrosion/oxidation/buildup first before condemning any other parts.

I already unlocked my obc and checked the voltage just the other day to find that while running it was at roughly 13.4.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoyote
    It sounds like you got something farked up....

I wouldn't trust the battery anymore, get the car going and see what the voltage is.. there is a way to unlock the obc to see what the voltage is.

I'd seriously consider using an Ohm meter to see if the positive cable is grounded before putting a charged battery in there and have it happen again. I had BMW replace voltage regulator under warrantee and when they tightened the terminal to back of alternator it was too close and eventually grounded to the frame...causing similiar problem.

What would the meter read for both instances?...and if it isn't grounded, what to do then?

Quote Originally Posted by callen
    I'd seriously consider using an Ohm meter to see if the positive cable is grounded before putting a charged battery in there and have it happen again. I had BMW replace voltage regulator under warrantee and when they tightened the terminal to back of alternator it was too close and eventually grounded to the frame...causing similiar problem.

Default On most of the cars that i see this on , that is the cause, If it has a short as

Callen suggests ,you can always hook the positive up first like you should and then as soon as you start to hook the negative up you'll know instantly if there is a short and you quickly remove the cable..The arcing when you hook it up and the heat generated quickly will tell you. There is always a small spark when you connect the battery but if its a large arc it will be obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by kalsman
    Thanks for the reply. I am almost positive this is the problem. Looking at the 3 cables that go to the + terminal I can see that all 3 are corroded and the main cable is bare (coating melted off) about 5 inches. Is this something I can take care of myself or should I take it to an auto electric shop to have all of the cables replaced?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast