GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ding

Default ding

Finally got around to getting the car to the smash repairers to sort out this ding. I've been told that they'd have to paint the whole boot lid! Because of the location of the ding (on the crease of the lid) a 'ding puller' wouldn't be able to sort it. What do you think? Get this annoying blemish sorted and wreck my original paint or just get the hell over it? Sorry about the pics-taken with my phone.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

If it were my car, i would try to ignore it. A repaint will rarely ever be as good as the original paint, and your paint still looks good. You might also try to get a second opinion to see if another body shop (smash repairer) could fix it without repainting.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

If the paintless dent wizard can't work his magic in that area and it bothers you, have the bodyman fix it. They will match the paint perfectly, if you choose a good shop, and you'll never know it was there. The deck lid hardly sees the action of rock chips and such so the paint will be content to just lay there shining. I would take it to another paintless dent place first. Sometimes they can drill a hole in a location that is unnoticed to get their tool in the right spot. Not all of these guys are the same, the experienced ones will cost more but will more than likely be able to do the job.

Jr

Quote Originally Posted by wingman
    Get this annoying blemish sorted and wreck my original paint or just get the hell over it?
    I would think the answer to this lies in the condition of the rest of the paintwork.

If the paintwork is really good, perhaps live with the dent.

If the paintwork is anything like mine I would consider a more total respray, depending on the circumstances of course.

You might also need to consider that the paint job might not be original and any attempt to match it might prove difficult.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

fix em as they happen i reckon. paint tech these days is pretty damn good mate. Ive had mine repaired and u would know it.

I hate to go OT, but I must ask: what phone takes those high-res photos?? Very impressive... too bad the subject of the matter isn't so cool
    _

i am with matty either fix it now,but get a couple of opinions first or wait until you have another reason to takethe car to the bodyshp and do it then...I got rear ended ,so at the same time got some other paint work done
    Gone but not forgotten

Yeah hard to know what to do. I'm swaying with trusting the panel guys. My wife's Subaru got fixed by this mob with excellent results. You know how it is though. I park the car boot in so I wont have to look at the ding. To me it spoils the whole car. Thanks for your input.
    P.S. Motorola V3 for pics-bluetooth connection onto photoshop then photobucket.com
    Cheers

Wingman
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Now come on Wingman, I'm sure you have a couple of good panel beaters you could call on You know - flash the fantastic plastic LOL
    E30 318iS & BMW K1200LT

Plastic? It's made out of Metal. As for contacts, that stuff doesn't go on anymore...Does it???
    Cheers

Wingman
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast