GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Come pick on the new guy!

Default Come pick on the new guy!

Morning/afternoon/evening...
    I've been lurking on the forums for about a year now and finally decided to join. I'm a proud owner of a 1993 bmw 525iA M50-TU (A ) With a cool 195,000 miles (bought it with 181k for 2800$) I have been back to the seller numerous times cursing them for turning me into a life long bimmer owner It has surpassed my expectations with the rather few amount of miles I have put on it. I have done the cam chain, along with all the guides and gears which was to be expected, turned the roters, and thats it so far!, knock on wood. I'm getting close to 5k miles on Mobil 1 Synthetic 20w50. I have been meaning to get that heavy stuff out of there, but have been unable to find 10w40 mobil 1 synth. My other options are 5w40, 10w30 and 0w40 (wtf is that) I could go on and on with questions but i'll ask them when needed So getting to the point, Which oil should I go with? The Bentley said 20w50 for my summers (50*F being the coldest, never going about 95*) But it cranks rather hard when its -2 outside with the 20w50. For the first time, this morning it started, chugged a bit, then quit, but started right up the second try. I love the car immensly and hope i'm not destroying it :P Thanks!

NovceGuru
    <no sig yet>
    <bmw>

No one is going to pick on you.... at least not yet...

Welcome to the club... how about some pictures?
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

i just punt in some mobile one, i forget what to be honest
    5w or 10w, to be honest i dont know the diffirence, i dont know what the numbers mean, the 535i cranks fine in about 10 degree weather, so whatever.

0w40 is a mobile-1 synthetic which covers most of us in all climates, the extreame conditions require a different oil but m-1 0w40 can handle most of them too.

Welcome aboard bro!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

welcome mate

Quote Originally Posted by NovceGuru
    I have been back to the seller numerous times cursing them for turning me into a life long bimmer owner
    And what a bugger it is !

Welcome. There is just no feeling like it, right ?

A friend of mine recently sold his E46 318i because his wife insisted and he literally had a panic attack when he was told that the deal was done !

Imagine if he had been an E34 driver........... !

There is just no substitute for that E34 rear suspension and how they drive !

On the subject of oils, go with Jeff's recommendation - Mobil 1 0W-40.
    Last edited by Zeuk in Oz; 12-20-2005 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Added last sentence

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Mobil 1 0W-40 it is then, as for pictures, I have no worthy camera for the e34, but my girlfriend will be getting a Canon SD-400 for christmas so i'll post some asap. Thanks

NovceGuru

Welcome. Have you really been lurking for a year? How often?

It seems like a good price you got your car for. Congrats.

Would you be so kind as to fill out the additional information in your profile? We like knowing where people are located, mileage, and what they have done to their cars . Even though it is in this thread it needs to be with your profile. Thanks.

Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    0w40 is a mobile-1 synthetic which covers most of us in all climates, the extreame conditions require a different oil but m-1 0w40 can handle most of them too.

Welcome aboard bro!
    Actually, every single Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil will cover just about every climate that anyone on this board lives in. To take the extremes:

Mobil 1: 0W-40
    Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -54Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 236

Mobil 1: 10W-30
    Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -45Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 224

The simple answer is any flavor of Mobil 1 fully synthetic will offer great protection to cold weather starting, hard driving, idling in traffic, or the majority of driving that people do. There may be a one off extreme case here and there, and the viscosity changes at different operating temperatures based on the oil temperature. But any weight will offer excellent protection in a basic situation.

Good Luck,
    Rory

<Insert list of modifcations or clever saying here>

Mobil-1 5W-30 has worked great for me for a few hundred thousand miles. It's as cheap as M-1 goes and is readily available. A few newer cars specify 0W-40 but yours shouldn't need that.

No one will pick on you unless you start ranting about (what the hell was it??) sliding? slanting? screeching? Oh! I know! DRIFTING! Yep. Stay away from drifting. Don't even mention what happens to blowing snow, if you know what's good for you. ;-)

BMW owners generally frown upon turning rotors. The practice isn't approved by BMW at all. Besides, with some judicious shopping around, rotors and pads in all four corners can be had for under $300, making the savings to be had by turning them minimal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast