GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: well I did the dirty deed

Default well I did the dirty deed

For the next 24hours I'll have 2 e34s in my possession then back to 1. I bought the Black 89 535iM. The m20 will be towed away in a few hours. What parts should I steal off the m20?

The 535iM is very very clean on the outside, the interior is in good shape, no mats, it needs minor suspension work (oxymoron yes) and brake work, but the engine is all there as is the clutch. Now the owner will need to learn how to work the clutch

I talked to the seller and I offered him $3150. He told me he had $3500 invested in it (he spent $900 + shipping to get new seats + interior trim) so we agreed on that + TTL.

Pics to follow shortly hereafter.

Default Dirty deed?

Congrats! Hope you used protection

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

towed away? whats wrong with it? did u sell it or are u throwing it away?

Quote Originally Posted by mattyb
    towed away? whats wrong with it? did u sell it or are u throwing it away?
    Insurance paid me $2200 for a completejunker. Well it has a good engine and tranny and not much else.

Congratulations. I think you will like the 535im much better.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Especially the torque. Good luck with the new ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    Congratulations. I think you will like the 535im much better.
    ....if he doesn't blow out the clutch before figuring out how to drive stick

Sorry, that's mean. First manual I attempted to drive was a 9-3, and I only got it going once before the owner decided I was bad news for the clutch. Then, a buddy in college gave me a few days worth of experience on his M3/4 across a few months. Still not enough. Within 5 minutes of starting my current job, I was in an M3 track car (heavy/very specific engagement point) and an 850 (just a tad bit more forgiving). Thrown to the pack, as it were. But I learned...

best, whit

IMHO, learning how to drive stick without harming the car is merely a matter of proper instruction.

I've helped half a dozen of my friends learn to drive stick on my Toyota, and never had the slightest whiff of clutch smoke or excessive slipping. It's all about patient instruction. If they do what I say, I know they won't hurt the car.

And what I say mostly is, "Be gentle! Compared to an auto, the throttle in a manual car will seem verrrry sensitive. Make small, slow movements of the clutch and throttle until you get the hang of it. Never rev over 2500 while you're learning. Getting used to the absence of a torque converter is the hardest part. You're not used to having such a direct connection between your right foot and the wheels. Be smoooooth, be patient, and you will get it without harming the car at all."

BTW, my Toyota is still on the original clutch, which still works perfectly and never slips with 200,000km on it.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Pics coming soon. I can drive it at least. Not too bad at it either. I udnerstand the mechanics, just takes some practice.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo
    IMHO, learning how to drive stick without harming the car is merely a matter of proper instruction.

I've helped half a dozen of my friends learn to drive stick on my Toyota, and never had the slightest whiff of clutch smoke or excessive slipping. It's all about patient instruction. If they do what I say, I know they won't hurt the car.

And what I say mostly is, "Be gentle! Compared to an auto, the throttle in a manual car will seem verrrry sensitive. Make small, slow movements of the clutch and throttle until you get the hang of it. Never rev over 2500 while you're learning. Getting used to the absence of a torque converter is the hardest part. You're not used to having such a direct connection between your right foot and the wheels. Be smoooooth, be patient, and you will get it without harming the car at all."

BTW, my Toyota is still on the original clutch, which still works perfectly and never slips with 200,000km on it.