GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where did my cat go?

Default where did my cat go?

hello everyone,

I have been looking at my exhaust quite often lately as it has developed a bit of a rattle, however i noticed something strange, on the first 1/2 of the exhaust pipe there does not appear to be a cat, there appears to be only 2 resonators before the joint between the front half and the back half (which has the centre and rear mufflers). also when i looked up in REALOEM as well as having a front half with cat there was an alternative part which has "front silencers", the car i am talking about is my 2/92 525i delivered in Australia. The question is it possible that i do not have a cat installed? and that there are 2 resonators installed instead?
    Last edited by rob101; 12-19-2005 at 08:10 PM. Reason: grammar

bump

sure it's possible, maybe the PO changed it. Take a picture and show us.

Thats the rear section of the exhaust the the cat bolts onto the front resonator.

forgive me if i sound like a dumbass but the cat isn't in the half of the exhaust you just showed me is it?

i thought the cat was in the front pipe, as in the piece in this diagram
    I'll get a picture but basically where the flat cat is there is no flat cat just two pipes with what look like hot dog mufflers (resonators) on them instead of the cat

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    sure it's possible, maybe the PO changed it. Take a picture and show us.

Thats the rear section of the exhaust the the cat bolts onto the front resonator.

Default no cat either

I dont have a cat either. My car is a 92 525 also. I live in Ireland and cats did not become compulsory until around 93. Dont miss it - one less thing to worry about!

yeah anyway i just thought it was weird, i will post up pics when i return from perth i don't have a digicam atm

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Thats right, the cat isn't in the pic I showed you. I showed you the rear section of the exhaust, while the front section includes the exhaust manifold and the cat, for which you show the pic (well no exhaust manifold).

Your car needs a cat (legally) not operationally, and you passed registration with it, wow!
    Last edited by BigKriss; 12-20-2005 at 04:58 AM. Reason: stuff

well we'll see whether i have a cat, i am skeptical that i don't have one although the exhaust does seem to have the smell like crap there is no cat smell of NOx etc.
    pass rego? the dealer i bought it with got an RWC when one of the wheel bearings was shot. rego is a joke i am going to try to buy from private sale from now on. At least i don't have to put up with their stupid excuses that are an insult to my intelligence, for example i rang the dealer and said i think on the wheel bearings is shot, he proceeded to tell me that the reason why it only makes roaring noise in one direction is because of the torque of the engine, to which i should have responded, "listen you f*** i did a thesis on suspension design so i happen to know that whatever you are trying to get at isn't possible in a IRS car I also happen to work with mechanics of 30 years experience that have told me it is the most likely cause" but i mean in the end whats the point ?he is just another dumbass bastard and you can't tell a dumbass bastard he is a dumbass because he doesn't even understand the concept of what it is to be a dumbass because he is too dumb. guess the best thing to stay away from that kind of scum and just buy your car from the relatively nice random people who sell bmws at private sale.

sorry about the spiel, i'm a bit ticked off at the world today been driving a toyota echo the last couple of days to work to save a bit of money of petrol, need to go for a late night strap in the e34 to blew off some steam

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    where did my cat go?

Dunno haven't seen it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast