GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My MegaSquirt build up/install!

Default My MegaSquirt build up/install!

hey guys. i received my MegaSquirt (MS) standalone ECU. This is where I intend to keep everyone updated on the install. This way, if any one has intention of doing aftermarket ECU work, they will have a basis to go on.

The MS ecu comes completely disassembled - bare PCBs (printed circuit boards) and seperated components that require soldering. You can, however, buy it assembled, for a nominal surcharge, but i find it more interesting to build it myself.

I purchased an Innovate LC-1 Wideband sensor and controller to interface to the standalone ECU. I also purchased the MS V3 unassembled ECU kit, plus 12' harness, plus lead bender, plus 2 oxygens sensor bungs, a DB9 straight through parallel cable, and I think that's it. Total was $530 shipped.

To fully understand what is to be discussed, you should probably check out www.megasquirt.info and read a little - that is, if you're interested. Otherwise, you can just look at the pictures for fun and ask questions if you car. Because I have to go pick up Jasens (Saj3n on here) car soon, I don't have time to start up the first build process, but here's a picture displaying the build quality of the main harness that DIYAutotune.com (where I purchased EVERYING) supplied.

Check back FREQUENTLY (ie., i will be working on this pretty steadily so you could almost check back every 3 hrs or so i will more than likely added content). Maybe this will get stickied at the top, maybe not.

haha rather than update the thread u should work more u wanker =]

lemme know if u need help and/or when u're gonna fire her up i wanna be
    there to help ya tune
    Last edited by bahnstormer; 12-17-2005 at 05:04 PM.

i for one will be watching with interest esp once you get it installed and start tuning.Dont assume we know ANYTHING.I have read that article you posted the other night and i had a look at the megasquirt site.I am esp interested in the use(or not) of the existing sensors switches and wiring.Do you intend to install te whole thing in the existing ecu location or will you split the install as described elsewhere
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    i for one will be watching with interest esp once you get it installed and start tuning.Dont assume we know ANYTHING. I have read that article you posted the other night and i had a look at the megasquirt site.I am esp interested in the use(or not) of the existing sensors switches and wiring.Do you intend to install te whole thing in the existing ecu location or will you split the install as described elsewhere
    Jon will want to be putting it in the CPU box as computers are not reliable working in engine bay heat conditions. (Inside the car it the only other option). If one could only take the Motronic unit out (hmmmm) it might fit in.

Great news Jon, you will have an avid readership for sure.

I haven't forked yet as to do it right one has to spend good money (heh but still 1/10 of a Motec or such equiv.) , but the MS has soooo much promise and the learning curve is a bonus for us. The real cool thing about this one is the Megasquirt project is mature enough not to frustrate one with imposibilities and developmental gotchas (we hope). If you are successful I can see the thing being a standard upgrade in a year as almost everyone here has to do their AFM and chip at some point- a Megasquirt (once documented for M20/M30/M50/52) will be a bit less and yield better than stock performance, let alone the features people like YOU want... Best of luck on the project, I look forward to doing the same sometime soon and adding my experiences Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Great I will be watching this closely.

I was looking into a Haltech E6K/X for my project I am planning out *Turbo 735iL* and didn't seem very feasible to be buying a Standalone for $1,500 that no one around here at home knew how to tune on the dyno.

I will definatly be watching this and asking questions!!! Keep us updated!

Default Megasquirt with ignition control - new version

Hi Jon,

Mr. Grippo had e-mailed me that he was working on a new version of MS using the newer Freescale controller, the HSX family with the X-gate co-processor. This one will have full ignition control as well as fuel management. He didn't say when it will be available, though.

I am planning on using this for my Austin-Healey 3000 since that twin-carb engine will be simply wonderful with EFI. Have you heard anything about the new design?

Regards,
    Adnan

Quote Originally Posted by Adnan
    Hi Jon,

Mr. Grippo had e-mailed me that he was working on a new version of MS using the newer Freescale controller, the HSX family with the X-gate co-processor. This one will have full ignition control as well as fuel management. He didn't say when it will be available, though.

I am planning on using this for my Austin-Healey 3000 since that twin-carb engine will be simply wonderful with EFI. Have you heard anything about the new design?

Regards,
    Adnan
    Couple things:

The unit you talk of Adnan is the USM (Ultra Mega Squirt) and has simply a faster processor and will POSSIBLY handle multiple coil packs for spark (YAY!!!! M50s have multiple coil packs). ANyway, its indefinite but getting there. Regardless, my unit is more than enough to run anything you throw at it, the newer unit is just "newer".

As far as Genphreaks response:

The unit is able to operate in the same conditions as a stock ECU. It is able to operate at 85 degrees celcius... which is HOT. I will be installing my unit either under my passenger seat (not likely since it needs a vacuum line to the ECU, but more likely in the glovebox area.

Just got back from picking up Saj3n's car. Bud if you're reading this your entire brake lights are out - made it interesting driving from philly lol.

Got back from Radio Shack - needed some .030 mm solder and a smaller tip for my 30w iron. Soldering now. Will take pics and inform you all.

I will reply as if I assume you guys don't know anything, that way I can iron some questions out before they're asked.

Ok update:

I have finished building the MegaSquirt Stimulator. This device is optional but interfaces directly to the MegaSquirt ECU external of the car and allows you to simulate an engine by adding resistance to fake sensors. All the black tall thinks are pentiometers "pots" that are variable (read: knobs) that turn to change resistance or voltage. You can change a fake O2 read from 20:1 to 10:1 and see how the ECU will respond. In theory... you can tune based on this... in theory. Anyway, it's $60 or so, but well worth it because it can also help you tell whether or not the ECU is correct. And it also gives you practice soldering on the small PCB. Overall difficulty so far - 3 out of 10.

Granted, I have done Xbox chips and such small soldering before, so it's not that difficult for me *yet*. People say the hardest part is the DB37 (the big serial port) to solder all the close knit pins on the underside... but honestly... it was the easiest part of it!

A lead bending tool helps A LOT. Its a piece of plastic that is gapped in different increments to help you bend the leads so that the resistors are the right size wide...

Now on to more fun stuff!

can't wait to get mine, just have too much **** going on
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Oh yeah, one more update. This is somewhat unrelated but I thought I'd share.

Real carbon fiber I have more where that came from. That's for another project but it's been sitting here laughing at me as I work.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast