GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me make a ss exhaust decision

Default Help me make a ss exhaust decision

Santa is going to bring me a stainless steel exhaust because I have been such a good girl this year. This is a big decision and I need some input--especially on the issue of resonators.

Let's start with a ss exhaust is a stupid waste of money. I know and don't care. And because I expect to have this car a very long time, the decision won't be made on the basis of cost.

Don't really care about performance improvements. Not trying to get a few extra hp out of the system. That is not the point.

It is all about the sound. Our former 525 was a rumbler and I loved that about it. When my husband was driving it, I could hear him a block away. It was not too loud, just loud enough. It always reminded me of a Harley. My 535 sounds too civilized. I want resonance.

I have been reading old threads and links and think I have it narrowed down to a Supersprint or an Eisenmann. On the other boards, the preference does seem to be Eisenmann. And you just have to love this review Post 19 by Mobius20

I know a lot of people here have B&B (triflow) but I think it is too loud for me. Plus the Indy that will be installing it has not been happy with B&B. I understand that the Dinnan needs fabracation to connect so that is out. The Magnaflow sound didn't do it for me. The Indy is encouraging me to go Supersprint but my heart says Eisenmann. Actually the Indy thinks I am nuts for wanting what they call a "growler" instead of stock, but oh well.

Since I am still mostly clueless, I never trust that I am understanding what I read. Is this right? When people talk about cat back or straight pipe, are they talking about ommitting the resonator? I understand that the resonator makes the system more quiet. What is the resonators point? Are cars street legal without the resonator? Is there more noise in the passenger compartment without the resonator?

I have heard that the Supersprint is only slightly louder than stock. You can get both the back muffler and a resonator from Supersprint. Eisenmann doesn't do a resonator. The Indy suggests a stock resonator (and yes I need a new one).

Here is a link sound clips on a 540 without the resonator. I know that a 535 isn't going to sound like a 540, but this link is what I have to work with. I think the Supersprint with a resonator would not be loud enough for me. This clip of the Eisenmann without the resonator sounds too loud in the passenger compartment but I am thinking with the resonator, it would be just right.

sound clips of various ss exhausts on 540 without resonator

So your input/education regarding resonators is appreciated. My decison will be totally based on sound. Not price, not performance. I would be influenced by quality and installation problems. I want resonance--good sound quality that is medium loud outside the car but not that loud in the car. TIA
    Last edited by Gayle; 12-17-2005 at 11:43 AM.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Default SS Exhaust

Gee, a "Gayle" and a "Gale" in the same thread, is that allowed?

As an engineer and from a generic design point of view, if the car came from the factory with a resonnator, personally I would keep one in the system. Its function is not only to reduce the harmonic noise of the "growl" but also tunes the 2nd order reflected wave which helps with exhaust scavenging, which has a primary benefit of drawing in the next intake charge if designed properly. Thru pipes (no resonnator) might perform better at the top end but they will suffer at the low end. My choice would be a stock Eberspaecher (good quality) resonnator and whatever brand SS muffler in the rear.

Once the exhaust is dumped into the inlet of the rear muffler, the event is pretty much over so just pick one that suits your sound preference. Stainless is a very good choice for not having to do it again. It's too bad A-A's are just for the 3-series, they sound sweet. Two of the CCA members in our local chapter both have e36 M3's with A-A's and they have the greatest sound. I can't make any recommendations but here is a site that compares many different brands:

http://members.aol.com/agspeed/exhaust.htm

I too would like a little more growl in my stock system. The term "cat-back" simply refers to a complete bolt-on system from the cat back. It may or may not have a resonnator, depends on the tuner. Personally, I'd like to ditch my cat. We have emissions testing every 2 years so would have to deal with swapping it out periodically but no biggie, can be done in an hour or 2 on a Saturday morning & worth the effort for another 2 years. (Now I'm going to upset all the greenies for espousing a non-environmental-friendly option)
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

Gale--thank you for your informative reply. I especially appreciate the explanation of the resonator and the recommendation on a brand. I will check it out.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Gayle, I may not be an Engineer, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn. Actually, I am a Civil Engineer but I just couldn't resist. I have a Eberspaecher center section with the old Eisenmann Sport Performance Muffler which is no longer available. The "new" Sport Performance muffler used to be called High Performance. It will be a little louder but I think you will like it.
    I wish I had got that version now myself, because the old version while louder than stock, is tame compared to the SS Ansa with the 4" dia. cannon that I have on my 2002.
    Best of Luck,
    Willobmw

Hmm its tricky. I know my car is a lot louder than stock but not nearly as loud as some cars.The worst thing about it is it makes MORE noise at about 2000 rpm than at higher revs..wel not quite...its esp annoying in a line of slower traffic going up hill and when you have a lot of stop n go.....keep it on the quiet side otherwise its annoying on trips and for back seat passengers.I think my car only has rear muffler mods...
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    keep it on the quiet side otherwise its annoying on trips and for back seat passengers.I think my car only has rear muffler mods...

That is certainly food for thought. After Gale's earlier post I am convinced I need the resonator. I am hoping the Eisenmann won't be too loud with the stock resonator. Here is the decibal info from the Eisenhaus website but it is for an M3. The sport which is what I would get doesn't seem like it would be that much louder than stock, especially with the resonator. But I don't know how to relate to decibals. Is 5 decibals more a lot? I don't know.

Eisenmann Exhausts: (note: numbers may vary based on the make and model of your vehicle)
    Performance Level 30-40 MPH 40-50 MPH 50-60 MPH 60-70 MPH 70-100 MPH

Stock 73 71 77 75 78
    Sport 79 76 82 80 81
    Racing 85 81 88 84 86

Hi Gayle, if you want a louder exhaust go with whatever manufactuer you want, however I would install a variable butterfly in the exhaust. Then you have the best of both worlds, loud and quiet at your finger tips via a switch in the cabin. I eventually want this on my car. It can even open up at a certain RPM range, so it can be quiet crusing around town and then really open up at the upper RPM range. Good luck with it.

I don't have the droning problem with my "Sport" version and a resonator. The 2002, that's a different story. Straight pipe no resonator.
    Last Christmas, while driving it to the annual dinner at the Inlaws, A gentleman passed and gave me the thumbs up. His wife on the other hand, had both of her ears covered. Even I had to laugh.
    wiilobmw

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    Hi Gayle, if you want a louder exhaust go with whatever manufactuer you want, however I would install a variable butterfly in the exhaust. Then you have the best of both worlds, loud and quiet at your finger tips via a switch in the cabin. I eventually want this on my car. It can even open up at a certain RPM range, so it can be quiet crusing around town and then really open up at the upper RPM range. Good luck with it.
    Kristen
    While I said I wasn't going to decide based on price, the idea of throwing in another $550 + installation on top of a system that is probably going to be $1200 plus installation is a little hard to swallow. But I do feel reassured to know it is there. Right now I am thinking I will go with the Eisenmann Sport muffler and the Eberspaecher resonnator, but if that ends up being unbearably loud, there is a solution.

Where does it go? Front end of the muffler? I saw you mention this on another thread. Why are you interested in it? Are you thinking about it for your current exhaust or are you planning on changing your exhaust?

Gayle, the butterfly goes before the rear muffler like seen in the 4th pic down. You want the exhaust louder right? Why don't you chop off the rear muffler, so you will still have the stock cat and center muffler still there, then you install the butterfly with a straight through pipe (instead of the new rear muffler). That would work out a lot cheaper than us$1200. I will eventually change my exhaust, but to be honest the quieter it is the better, I'd go with a new exhaust manifold (tubular) also. I think it's a waste of money chanign the exhaust just for a different note. If you don't take a ride in other peoples car with the exhaust you want, you might not like the change and it will be a lot of money wasted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast