GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: general module repair

Default general module repair

For the past few weeks I have lost power door locks, windows, wipers, sunroof, etc. when the ambient temperature has dropped into the 30's. This morning I had a chance to find out why. I followed the procedure written by Javier(?) and all was well with the grounds and power at the fuses, relays and modules under the rear seat.

I took the general module out of its case and warmed the board with a hairdryer. When I reinstalled it everything worked fine. How do I diagnose what solder joints might be cracked in order to repair it?

Thanks,
    Chris

oops.......car is a

1991 535i

Default See those round circular crack lines in the center of the

solder joints indicated in this pic? Thats what your looking for. any small lines like that usually a complete circle constitute a cracked joint, they are most likely on areas where the relay's are joined to the board since a relay actually shakes and vibrates when actuated which tends to make the crappy solder joints crack

Quote Originally Posted by duckloads
    For the past few weeks I have lost power door locks, windows, wipers, sunroof, etc. when the ambient temperature has dropped into the 30's. This morning I had a chance to find out why. I followed the procedure written by Javier(?) and all was well with the grounds and power at the fuses, relays and modules under the rear seat.

I took the general module out of its case and warmed the board with a hairdryer. When I reinstalled it everything worked fine. How do I diagnose what solder joints might be cracked in order to repair it?

Thanks,
    Chris