GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Getting the air out of the cooling system

Default Getting the air out of the cooling system

How is that process supposed to happen? You just pour the liquid slowly, open the radiator cap from time to time to let the air out? Any easy way of doing that?

Thanks.
    1994 520i with M50 engine, manual transmission and air conditioner.
    VIN: GG45422

not 100 percent sure on the m50 but on the m30 there is a bleed scew on the thermostat housing so that as you fill the system the air comes out.B4 you start tho make sure the bleed screw hole is not blocked,and it helps if the front of the car is uphill or raised a bit so the air naturally goes to the front of the system.I think you are also supposed to hae the heater on and turned on full so the heater core also is filled and purged.Hope others with m50 experience chime in
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    not 100 percent sure on the m50 but on the m30 there is a bleed scew on the thermostat housing so that as you fill the system the air comes out.B4 you start tho make sure the bleed screw hole is not blocked,and it helps if the front of the car is uphill or raised a bit so the air naturally goes to the front of the system.I think you are also supposed to hae the heater on and turned on full so the heater core also is filled and purged.Hope others with m50 experience chime in
    On the M50 there is a phillips head bleed screw just to the right of the fill cap. Pop that puppy off and fill it until liquid comes to the surface and overflows a little bit.

dude, do a search on "bleeding" probably a thousand threads on this subject for every BMW engine known except the M-60s.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

OK, thanks.

I searched on bleeding screws yesterday, found the ones near the cap and on thermostat. Decided to post as something useful might come up and it did, none of the articles I read mentioned raising the front of the car.
    1994 520i with M50 engine, manual transmission and air conditioner.
    VIN: GG45422