GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: dumb question--what would it take to retrofit servotronic/how does the serv. feel?

Default dumb question--what would it take to retrofit servotronic/how does the serv. feel?

since i kinda need a new steering box (too much slack for my liking), im thinking that I need to get that one from the 740il e32 i mentioned a couple of days ago. it is the large unit, with the big pumpkin torque converter on the end. i've been laboring under the impression that someone with an e34 on this board has retrofitted servotronic without buying additional parts, when in reality, i'd been thinking about sean and johan. looking at their page, even their servotronic box is not as big and pumpkinny as the one i found. im wondering if anybody can tell me if the servotronic unit will even fit in my car without metalwork or modifications. on the same note, considering that the e32 i found will likely still have all of the servotronic electronics in it (and i could probably get the electronics + box for less than $45 USD) what would i need to get out of it (aside from the module under the kickpanel)?

another question......does anyone here have servotronic in their e34? i ask politely....does it make the car feel like a overweight american boat? some have alluded to this. george mann, in his "uniqueness", indicated that he didn't like the servotronic in his car. if, this is even a retrofit capable of occuring, is this something I would want to do? i like "direct" steering, would like my box to be more like a rack and pinion, but i would still like to retain a similar road feel. thanks for listening.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Roop, as I said in the last thread in which this topic was mentioned, the box can be made to fit, but it will have the wrong gear ratio.

All M5s and every 540 that I can think of are factory fitted with servotronic.

Again: every model with one of these boxes uses a different gear ratio. E.g., E32 750 isn't the same as what's found in the E32 740, and from what I remember, none of them are interchangeable/will retain the stock driveability.

Personally, I think servotronic is an unnecessary option, and probably not worth the effort of installation in a non-servotronic car. It'd be wiser to buy that box at the ridiculously low price it was offered, sell it on eBay, and then find a low mileage m50 525 box to replace your existing unit. Of course, there's always the possibility that the imprecision is due to bad links, universal joints, or other variables in the system, making the box replacement unnecessary.

best, whit

ok then.
    i glanced over bill r's microfiche shot too quickly, thought the ratio would be the same. the box is shot, though, judging by the amount of play right at the box (ie, after the u-joint). i don't think i have mr luter's patience, so i don't know how long i could wait for somebody to pick it up....
    thinking about it, i could probably pick up the servotronic module and sell it for a pittance, to get a couple extra bucks for my cause.

just for $hits and giggles....looking the etk so far

i'd need the box
    module
    the holder for the module
    the wire harness between the module and the box
    a potentiometer that attaches somewhere (the box? an engine rpm point somewhere?)
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by lowell

All M5s and every 540 that I can think of are factory fitted with servotronic.

best, whit
    That's odd. I guess somebody took mine out 'cuz I don't have servotronic.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Anthony, is it a US spec car? What are the last 7 digits of the VIN? Are you sure that there's no solenoid connector on the box? Evidently, the earlier M5s (to ~ 93, I think) could've come with the non-servo box, but I haven't found any literature indicating how it was handled -- as an option or otherwise. My knowledge of the change, if there was one in this case, is limited; and I'm relatively certain that I've seen a 540 that *didn't* have servotronic, so I can't say that those cars definitively have it, either.

best, whit

Anthony, is it a US spec car? What are the last 7 digits of the VIN? Are you sure that there's no solenoid connector on the box? Evidently, the earlier M5s (to ~ 93, I think) could've come with the non-servo box, but I haven't found any literature indicating how it was handled -- as an option or otherwise. My knowledge of the change, if there was one in this case, is limited; and I'm relatively certain that I've seen a 540 that *didn't* have servotronic, so I can't say that those cars definitively have it, either.

best, whit
    Whit,

It isn't a US car - Canadian spec (11/90 production, 1 of 138) although it comes up on RealOEM as HD93US. I've looked at the steering box and it doesn't have the torque converter attached to the underside where the pipes fit.

VIN: BK05796
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

The tell-tale sign for the existence of servotronic is the presence of the solenoid at the end of the box and the accompanying wire harness connector (I forget how many pins it has ATM).

My '95 540i is one of them that does NOT have a servo.

best, whit
    '95 BMW-540i/Auto (ZF-5HP30)...NO reverse
    "Original" Nikasil block (+ Fristo Lays Chip)
    87+ K Miles