GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Battery

Default Replacement Battery

My car has been sitting for last few days and this cold morning (+5*C) the car wouldn't start. I need some opinions on replacement batteries. I guess my options are: dealer, autozone/kragen, costco, something else?
    My friend recomended gel cell type batteries, are those good for our cars?

Make sure you get one with enough CCA and the vent tube. As for the place, mmm whichever one's closest to your house? Dealer charges about twice as much as the others.

PS: +5 cold??? Where do you live man, Hawaii???

Is your battery under the hood or under the rear seat? If its under the rear seat...then I suggest one of the batteries below...and PLEASE get a vent kit! If it's under the hood...vent kit is not needed.

1. Duralast 49DL ($69) @ AutoZone (best bang for the buck if in your area0
    2. Interstate MTP-93 or MTP-91 ($80-$120) www.iinterstatebatteries.com (to find a local reseller)
    3. Douglas 95R ($80-$120) Batteries Plus
    4. BMW Dealer ($100-$200)

Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

vent tube postion sucks on AZ battery's. bmw battery's last longer and have better power than AZ battery's. Just bought an AZ battery and regret it.

what about the optima?
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by callen
    bmw battery's last longer and have better power than AZ battery's. Just bought an AZ battery and regret it.
    What exactly do you "regret" about the AZ battery (I assume you mean the Duralast 49DL). I've used the Duralast in my 91 735iL, 97 740iL, and just recently in my 95 525iT and I have had a great experience. In the past, I've used the Douglas battery (which makes the BMW battery) and they lasted about 4-5 yrs ( which is about avg for where I live).

The BMW (replacement) battery is mfg'd by Douglas in the USA...and has the same specs as the Douglas 95R battery you can purchase from Batteries Plus ...the only differences is the BMW case is white and costs way more money...and the Douglas case is black, has the same specs, and cost way less.

The Douglas & BMW battery have 950 CA & 800 CCA ... whereas the batteries mfg'd by Johnson Controls (Duralast 49DL & Interstate MTP-93) have 1000 CA & 850 CCA.

If you are buying an underated battery from AZ...maybe thats the problem...but if you are getting the Duralast 49DL...then please share your unfortunate experience...because mine has been great. That's also a reason that I usually suggest the Johnson Control batteries and the Douglas...they have basically the same specs and usually give good service.

As far as the Optima Red Top...it is made by Johnson Controls as well...but it's specs are slightly less than the Duralast & Interstate and it cost more...plus it doesn't have a vent kit for those whose models have the battery in the trunk or under the rear seat.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-15-2005 at 10:39 AM.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Agreed... they are all made by same company!

first vent tube is right under hold down bracket...unlike original...you have to trim it and hope that it vents okay.......second when it gets chilly it cranks much slower than when I put the BMW battery in.........the one I have is a group size 49 as that's the only one that fits......if they sell two versions of 49 with different CCA's that I'm not aware of....have to look to see what mine is rated.

And yes Douglas does make OEM battery......and I would buy it. Additionally sold Douglas batteries for many years in automotive aftermarket. I've also worked as manager in Autozone stores and know return rate....just went with them cause of cost....hence if I had to do it over again I'd go OEM or Douglas.

Would love to get an Optima battery...looked at all options they make and none, by my estimation would fit under seat,. I have one in my old chevy and it maintains charge and lives up to it's stated CCA's. If your battery is under hood I'd go to their site and check sizes/applications.

Default I agree with Q, Autozone batteries are the only thing i put in mine and my

customers cars. There's no contest between any of the others regarding quality price and convenience. No questions ever on the warranty in the event that i have a warranty which is pretty rare. I put at least 4 a month in people's cars with no problems. I personally had a optima which is also sold by autozone , i bought it thinking that it would be a better battery for my truck which got a lot of use jumping people. It lasted less than 2 years, this was back when optima first came out. I have better results with autozone duralast and autozone bosch batteries over interstate, sears diehard, optima etc etc.. The vent tube routing my opinion is a non issue , i
    have no problem routing the vent tube on an e34 or a e36,e46,e39,e32 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7
    What exactly do you "regret" about the AZ battery (I assume you mean the Duralast 49DL). I've used the Duralast in my 91 735iL, 97 740iL, and just recently in my 95 525iT and I have had a great experience. In the past, I've used the Douglas battery (which makes the BMW battery) and they lasted about 4-5 yrs ( which is about avg for where I live).

The BMW (replacement) battery is mfg'd by Douglas in the USA...and has the same specs as the Douglas 95R battery you can purchase from Batteries Plus ...the only differences is the BMW case is white and costs way more money...and the Douglas case is black, has the same specs, and cost way less.

The Douglas & BMW battery have 950 CA & 800 CCA ... whereas the batteries mfg'd by Johnson Controls (Duralast 49DL & Interstate MTP-93) have 1000 CA & 850 CCA.

If you are buying an underated battery from AZ...maybe thats the problem...but if you are getting the Duralast 49DL...then please share your unfortunate experience...because mine has been great. That's also a reason that I usually suggest the Johnson Control batteries and the Douglas...they have basically the same specs and usually give good service.

As far as the Optima Red Top...it is made by Johnson Controls as well...but it's specs are slightly less than the Duralast & Interstate and it cost more...plus it doesn't have a vent kit for those whose models have the battery in the trunk or under the rear seat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast