GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't turn my key to start the car. EMERGENCY

Default I can't turn my key to start the car. EMERGENCY

I sent my daughter out to staqrt the car this morn and she couldn't do it. So I tried, and the darn key won't turn. The ignition is locked, just like when you some times have to turn the steering wheel a tad to take the pressure off the locking mechanism to then be able to turn the key in the ignition. But the wheel just stays locked, and the key in the ignition does not turn.

So what do I do. I try to take the steering wheel off to see if I can see if there's any issues down there. I remove the center nut, and the wheel won't come off. wtf, it's got to be some sort of security mechanism that's whacked out. Anyone have any ideas? Please help, my car is out of commision. I'm going to searrch the archives now.

A Bimmer Nut for sure: '04 530im (current daily driver), '97 m3, '98 323is, '99 Z3, '01 740iL, '06 330cicm zhp, '02 R1150R, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com
    And I still maintain: '90 535im (sold to daughters best friend, one of my favorite bimmers), '92 525im (daughters other best friend now drives this one).

Oh, I do have an after market steering wheel. But I've had it for well over a year now. This is the first time I've had this kinda problem at all.

A Bimmer Nut for sure: '04 530im (current daily driver), '97 m3, '98 323is, '99 Z3, '01 740iL, '06 330cicm zhp, '02 R1150R, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com
    And I still maintain: '90 535im (sold to daughters best friend, one of my favorite bimmers), '92 525im (daughters other best friend now drives this one).

Ah, this old chestnut! Do a search of this forum, you are not alone!!

All I can recommend is keep trying to turn the key whilst "waggling" the steering wheel, this should release the lock. The steering lock works by dropping a bar into the teeth on the back of the stock steering wheel so if you cant release the steering lock you can't get the wheel off (without causing major damage)

If you manage to turn the ignition lock, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY, get a strong paper clip and turn the barel approx 60 degrees and put the clip into the small hole in the ignition barel to release the barrel from the steering column.

You will need to get a new barrel as once it starts sticking it's knackered and although it can be greased, it will still stick.

I found that once the barrel is removed my steering lock did not activate. I started the car with a screwdriver for a few days until the new lock barrel arrived from the $tealer. Obviously I DO NOT recommend driving the car like this, but it worked for me.

Have "fun". I hope this helps you.

Default here you can see the bar

which goes into the teeth at the back of the steering wheel.
    That must go up. Otherwise you cannot remove or attach the steering wheel. Forget about the red color marks, that refers to other things.
    If you can turn the ignition key a bit, then go to my website and there is a link to Jon Evans (evansweb), he has a good info about removing the lock.

Default Ed, as Shogun mentioned there is a latch that holds the

wheel on even after you've taken the nut off.. to release the latch you have to turn the key... kind of a catch 22. Just keep working the wheel back and forth while trying to turn the key. eventually you'll get it to move and then you can follow the other posters recommendations to remove the tumbler mechanism

ONce you get the key to turn you'll have to get or fabricate the wire tool to remove the tumbler , it have an angle bent on it like so..

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer Nut Ed
    I sent my daughter out to staqrt the car this morn and she couldn't do it. So I tried, and the darn key won't turn. The ignition is locked, just like when you some times have to turn the steering wheel a tad to take the pressure off the locking mechanism to then be able to turn the key in the ignition. But the wheel just stays locked, and the key in the ignition does not turn.

So what do I do. I try to take the steering wheel off to see if I can see if there's any issues down there. I remove the center nut, and the wheel won't come off. wtf, it's got to be some sort of security mechanism that's whacked out. Anyone have any ideas? Please help, my car is out of commision. I'm going to searrch the archives now.
    Last edited by Bill R.; 12-14-2005 at 05:59 AM.

Freed up my '89 with LockEase Graphited Lock Fluid. NAPA product which is graphite in an aerosol solvent. Spray generously and wiggle. Also plunge key in and out.

Was assured by experienced tech that only replacement of switch would solve. Now 3 years fixed and working.

That tool is like a big paper clip sized... with a giant handle.

I suggest you use hair blower and warm up the lock and steering lock area. If you don't have graphite now... try WD-40 or lock de-icer when warmed up and wiggle wiggle wiggle.

i use a .050 allen wrench to remove the lock cylinder, it's probably one of two things ether the lock cylinder has screwed up or the steering lock itself has crapped, neither are easy if you can't turn the key and usually result in some breaking to get the old part out to fix, i've done it in the bosses driveway to a 90 525 with limited tools to get a car back to the shop to fix it when it was stranded with a busted steering lock, basicly stole the car
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going back out to tackle it again this morn. I tried briefly, to no avail earlier. I had to drive my daughter and her friend to school this morn in wifeys Z3. Funny trying to jam two people in one seat, not!

Anyway, I'll let you know what happens. As always, you guys are the best.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast