GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove the OBC?

Default How to remove the OBC?

The Bently manual says that there is a clip. I've tried for about 20 minutes to take it out? Can you guys help. I need to replace the bulb to see the display again. I can't feel or find anything to remove it.

Default You have it in the wrong side ...

Kidding, see this link.

http://www.nmia.com/%7Edgnrg/page_36.htm

Javier

I have it on that side too... There's a little lever at the top of the OBC, near the back. You push (I think it's push) that lever, and it pops out.

I tried all sorts of gentle pushing, then firm pushing, then thumb breaking pushing, then held something long against the lever and HEAVED onto the lever... Only then did the OBC shoot out of the dash and hit me.

It's held in by both the lever contraption, and the connector which is mounted in the back of the obc frame, so if you haven't had it out before it will be very stiff.

thanks guys, very helpfull. I'll get to it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NZ
    I have it on that side too... There's a little lever at the top of the OBC, near the back. You push (I think it's push) that lever, and it pops out.

I tried all sorts of gentle pushing, then firm pushing, then thumb breaking pushing, then held something long against the lever and HEAVED onto the lever... Only then did the OBC shoot out of the dash and hit me.

It's held in by both the lever contraption, and the connector which is mounted in the back of the obc frame, so if you haven't had it out before it will be very stiff.
    Dan you where exactly right there is one lever on the right hand side that you push, it then pops out.

How do you take the bulb out of the socket. I have already broken one bulb while it's still in place.

Kriss, too late for removal instructions...but Don Gale's write up on removing the OBC and changing the bulbs should help: http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_36.htm

Pay close attention to the part on which bulbs to get. Most buy the wrong bulbs (6volt) and they will burn out in a few months...you must get the 12v bulbs and Don gives the correct part number. If you check the ETK and online parts database...you will see how they have the wrong bulb listed.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

thanks QuickSilver, i saw that writeup, that what I followed. How do I take the bulb out of the plastic holder. Yeah, I think I need 12V bulbs also, on the bottom of the holder it says Osram 12/1.2

if you get them from the dealer...the pic you posted is what you get when you order #62 11 1 368 299. See item #7 in the diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...62&fg=05&hl=43 . I've never had to do this repair...but others have stated that the 6volt bulbs (the wrong ones) they've purchased came with a green base...so that indicates that the bulb and the holder come as one unit.

If you are going to "reuse" the holder...which at the low cost for the bulb from the dealer is a waste of time...iit looks like you'll have to use a soldering iron and desolder the wires to pop it out...then resolder the wires of the new bulb.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

cool. wow thanks Quicksilver. I used some long nose pliers and took the bulbs out of the sockets, breaking the bulbs in the process. They where tight. I didn't have to desolder anything. I assumed the bulbs fit in and out of the sockets, but I was wrong. When you break the bulbs, some terminals are still attached. I won't resuse the holder, I will buy item #7 like you say from the dealer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast