GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: 99 ford taurus temp gauge says "stone cold" after long highway...

Default OT: 99 ford taurus temp gauge says "stone cold" after long highway...

drives.

its not my daily driver, so i don't get to drive it that often. i notice that after driving long distances on the highway (240 mi), and idling around a parking lot for a bit, the temp gauge will register a "cold", as in cold engine start cold. during the highway operation, the gauge seemed to be at normal operating temperature whenever it was checked. gauge does not vaciliate any during that time, either. does this sound like a temp sender issue, or a thermostat/cooling system problem? thanks.

ps, there is a small-moderate sized leak at a hard to access hose clamp, which empties the coolant overflow tank once every 3 months or so. the water at this particular instance, however, was normal.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Does it have heat when the gauge reads low ? If so then its a sender. If you have lackluster heat when the gauge is cold its probably a thermostat. In any way its probably better to have the car crushed and move on.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Great analysis and remedy Derek. T-Stat my pick.
    Willobmw

haw haw how ribald!

the heat is normal at all times, so i guess that kind of narrow things down.
    i have kind of a sentimental attachment to the car, so ill have to pass on your offer to crush the car. i will, however, take you up on your offer of taking the passenger fender off and changing the hose/clamp under there for me
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

probably has NO thermostat, some engines recycle the heat through the heatercore and the rest runs right through the engine all cold, does wonders on cyliner bores after a while.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    probably has NO thermostat, some engines recycle the heat through the heatercore and the rest runs right through the engine all cold, does wonders on cyliner bores after a while.
    naw. we've had this car since it was new. if a thermostat was removed:

1. I was the one that took it out
    2. I would have seen the work order or seen the grease/dirt disturbance in the area of the thermostat.

neither of the above has happened. the car takes as long as it always has to produce passenger compartment heat, its just that i noticed that the car did this one day, and would like to take care of it right away.

check the thermostat
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy