GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: Audi Quattro Turbo smoking under med/hard deceleration

Default OT: Audi Quattro Turbo smoking under med/hard deceleration

I need to clear some debt now that I've finished university, so selling the E34 and looking at getting a cheapo car while I save for a newer bimmer. I'm looking at a 1985 Audi 200 Quattro Turbo, the quattro will be a bonus for the ski season and it has a new lowered springs and shocks. It has a few electric gremlins I could hopefully work out over time, rear elec windows, sunroof, climate control and automatic choke not working.

The main issue though, is the smoke. The owner states "Blows smoke consistant with valve/guide wear, under med/hard deceleration". What is this indicative of? Is it terminal?

I'll probably only keep this car for 6-12 months, and it's cheap, plus if I fix it up a bit would be quite a nice car.

Okay tell me what's odd about the following...

I need to clear some debt... looking at getting a cheapo car... looking at a 1985 Audi 200 Quattro Turbo...
    This kind of sounds like ****ing for virginity. A 20 year old Audi Quattro Turbo will NEVER be a cheap car even if someone gives it to you for free.
    If you plan on buying this I fear you will never be able to afford ANYTHING else (even one rollerskate).

If you are planning on a cheap car buy a garaged 20 year old Toyota Corolla from a deceased estate, don't modify it and then save and buy your dream Bimmer when you have the cash. If you buy a 20 year old Audi Quattro you will be buying an absolute money pit!!!

Now go and take a Bex and have a good lie down and in the morning you will thank me!
    Last edited by pundit; 12-10-2005 at 01:42 AM.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

[QUOTE=pundit]Okay tell me what's odd about the following...

This kind of sounds like ****ing for virginity. A 20 year old Audi Quattro Turbo will NEVER be a cheap car even if someone gives it to you for free.
    If you plan on buying this I fear you will never be able to afford ANYTHING else (even one rollerskate).QUOTE]

Yeah, the more I look into it, the less it seems like a good Idea. I was drawn to the 217hp 2.2L Turbo Quattro, but looking through audi 200 website mentioning all the wastegate valves, and after-run fans and pumps etc that often go wrong... These are actually VERY complex cars, more so than an E34!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NZ
    Yeah, the more I look into it, the less it seems like a good Idea. I was drawn to the 217hp 2.2L Turbo Quattro, but looking through audi 200 website mentioning all the wastegate valves, and after-run fans and pumps etc that often go wrong... These are actually VERY complex cars, more so than an E34!
    Saved from a fate worse than death!!

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Hi Dan,

Similar things happened to me years ago in Wellington. That was the Quattro 90 Turbo. Looks good, drives fairly well until I checked the prices and availability of parts!. Yikes, thats like sounds like sourcing parts for a Triump TR7 Drophead!. I stayed away. E34 way cheaper compared to the classic Audis.

The numbers always plays tricks on us. The balance is what the Audi lacks.

My question is why you need to sell the E34. You've had it for a while and have probably fixed a lot of things on it. Why start over with a car with an unknown history? Yes, a Toyota or Honda would be dirt cheap and likely require NO work in 12 months (and I mean none, dont even change the oil). But you have a car, its reliable, and quite frankly I can't see it costing you THAT much over 12 months to go throught he hassel of selling it, getting something else etc. Just my 2 cents.

the main thing is dan you wont get much money back for the 525..check it out and if you can get a toyota or a nissan for less i would go that route.But only if you can get the replacement car for much less than what you can get for the bimmer
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    the main thing is dan you wont get much money back for the 525..check it out and if you can get a toyota or a nissan for less i would go that route.But only if you can get the replacement car for much less than what you can get for the bimmer
    Hoping to get $4k for the car in Queenstown. Would buy a car for $800-$1000. That's 3k off the credit card.

I've had the E34 for 50,000km, and now it's nearly due for another set of tires, another trans service, the shocks+bushes need replacing soon, and the water pump is starting to squeal a little... I just want to flick it on before I have to sink another grand into it.