GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: No Reverse Help!!!!

Default No Reverse Help!!!!

I just bought a 1992 535i and the reverse is not working. The dash shows the car going into reverse and the car seems to make slight upward movement when it is engaged, but it will not move at all. I have read about people mentioning all sorts of electrical problems that could be the solution. Am I just thinking wishfully or will I need to put a new transmission in my 5? Thanks in advance!

Corey Horton
    1992 BMW 535i

Default Besides lack of Reverse, do you also have ...

lack of engine breaking in 1st gear?

If so, guess you have D brake ****ed up in the trany and will have to Overhaul it. If you are in USA, there is a guy highly recommended, Kirt Koeller.

Sorry, no electrical gremlins cause this, specially if you do not have the Transprogram warning.

The mechanic that fixed mine said that due to a fault in the valve body, it was applied the reverse and first gear simultaneously damaging the D brake. Also told me that If my wife would have switched the trany to manual and 2nd gear when she noticed the car running braked, we could have avoided mayor damage in the trany.

Javier

PS: Already went trough this, see this thread:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=5487

I don't want to sound like a moron, but what do you mean by engine breaking in 1st? It seems to act like it has a rough idle, but it shifts fine in all other gears besides reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier
    lack of engine breaking in 1st gear?

If so, guess you have D brake ****ed up in the trany and will have to Overhaul it. If you are in USA, there is a guy highly recommended, Kirt Koeller.

Sorry, no electrical gremlins cause this, specially if you do not have the Transprogram warning.

The mechanic that fixed mine said that due to a fault in the valve body, it was applied the reverse and first gear simultaneously damaging the D brake. Also told me that If my wife would have switched the trany to manual and 2nd gear when she noticed the car running braked, we could have avoided mayor damage in the trany.

Javier

PS: Already went trough this, see this thread:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=5487

Corey Horton
    1992 BMW 535i

Doesn't anyone do a search anymore?

There are a bunch of reasons why the car won't go in reverse. You can pretty much rule out electrics as causing the problem, as Javier said -- the dash is acknowledging the gear selection, and the tranny computer (AEGS) would dump the well known "TRANS PROGRAM" on the check control.

It's a physical problem. The known A clutchpack failure (from idiots revving the engine in neutral or park after running the car in drive) is a possibility, but unlikely since the car has forward gears.

Sounds like my transmission problem, and hey - a year ago, I was going through exactly what you're about to go through! Lucky for you, my less than 1 year old ZF reman, with the remainder of a two year, unlimited mileage warranty, serviceable at any BMW dealership covering parts AND labor, will be available for sale within a week.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=8771

What's the condition of the fluid? How many miles on the car and what kind of service history is known/in writing on it?

best, whit

I did do a search, by the way, before bothering you guys. It has 95,000 miles on the dash and I have absolutely no service history on this vehicle. I got a good deal on it with the reverse problem so that is the only reason I bought it. What do you want on this tranny you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Doesn't anyone do a search anymore?

There are a bunch of reasons why the car won't go in reverse. You can pretty much rule out electrics as causing the problem, as Javier said -- the dash is acknowledging the gear selection, and the tranny computer (AEGS) would dump the well known "TRANS PROGRAM" on the check control.

It's a physical problem. The known A clutchpack failure (from idiots revving the engine in neutral or park after running the car in drive) is a possibility, but unlikely since the car has forward gears.

Sounds like my transmission problem, and hey - a year ago, I was going through exactly what you're about to go through! Lucky for you, my less than 1 year old ZF reman, with the remainder of a two year, unlimited mileage warranty, serviceable at any BMW dealership covering parts AND labor, will be available for sale within a week.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=8771

What's the condition of the fluid? How many miles on the car and what kind of service history is known/in writing on it?

best, whit

Corey Horton
    1992 BMW 535i

Default Engine breaking in 1st means that if you select the ...

Trany on 1st gear, after running (slow speed please) in "D", the car will slow down as a result from the engine and will not release and run free when the transmission shift down to 1st gear. I bet you, you will notice the difference once it shift down from 2nd gear. Also once released, when you push some gas, you will feel a delay in engaging the trany.

Best way to test is down the hill.

Javier