GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 16" vs 17" vs 18" wheels

Default 16" vs 17" vs 18" wheels

I'd like to hear opinions from those that have gone from small to big, or big to small for wheels. I currently have 16" OE style 8s, and would like to get either 17" M5 T-stars of 18" OE M-parallels. I won't consider a replica, OE ones only, so they should be respectively light for their size. My car is a daily, and often a family car, so I want to keep the ride quality about the same. A little more responsiveness would be nice, but it's not a track car.

I'd just like some pros and cons, beyond just the looks and cost of new tires.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

completely matters on the roads, with 18s they will bend real easy on crappy roads. Youll get a better ride with more tire but responsiveness wont be as instant. Here in michigan 17's about the max with the roads but youll always see some homey with 22s on a toyota ya know?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

There's a guy in town that has a pimped out looking '80s Caddy, and that damn thing has to have at least 22s on it, looks like a monster truck. I can't believe it doesn't rub like hell, or maybe that's the price you pay for all that bling.
    Matt J.

-Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Quote Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
    I'd like to hear opinions from those that have gone from small to big, or big to small for wheels. I currently have 16" OE style 8s, and would like to get either 17" M5 T-stars of 18" OE M-parallels. I won't consider a replica, OE ones only, so they should be respectively light for their size. My car is a daily, and often a family car, so I want to keep the ride quality about the same. A little more responsiveness would be nice, but it's not a track car.

I'd just like some pros and cons, beyond just the looks and cost of new tires.
    WHAT THOSE AREE 16s?!?! Those look awesome.

/me adds style 8's to list

My dream is a set of 16s since the car was designed with 15" rims in mind, so you're not messing w/ ride quality too much. I hear 17s and 18s bend pretty easy if your road sucks.

Where did you get those wheels and how much?

Basically anytime you go up on wheel size, you decrease your tire profile height. This will provide crisper handling in exhange for more firmness. There's always a compromise.

From the sound of it, I'd say you'd most likely want to go with 17's. 18's really start to get quite a bit firmer, along with the risk of potholes, nevermind more pricey tires.

I have 17" T'Stars on my M5 and the ride is fine. I also don't really worry about bending them though I will drive around a nasty pothole if I see it in time. Good luck.

Curt.
    Curt.

1994 530iT (gone but not forgotten since I see it every day!)
    1991 M5

Not to hijack the thread or anything (and I agree, 16s are probably the best compromise on these cars, especially for a daily driver) but where on earth do people buy OEM rims without paying ridiculous money? eBay is out unless you're really lucky, because most of the stuff you find there is replica. Any thoughts?
    1995 525iM - 131k - Alternator play, broken s-belt
    1995 525iA - 147k - Tensioner weirdness, broken s-belt
    2001 Intgra GS-R - 130k - spun bearing
    2002 Honda Odyssey - 80k - fragged transmission

Default Talking about rims and pimping a ride..

Here's one with nice rims.. The owner got busted with drugs.... Go figure.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

the bigger your wheels, the more pronounced the 55mph shimmy will be.. difference in ride quality is negligable under normal conditions but on bad roads yea i wouldn't rock 18s.. unless they are forged

those wheels you have on now look great.. did you re-consider having them refinished?
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

If you get lucky you can catch some on bimmerforums, and there's a bunch on Roadfly. Favorite recent deals I have seen is a really nice set of OE T-Stars for about $1000 and OE M-Pars for $800 shipped. Post on the regional forums on Bf, sometimes people have wheels they would part with, but don't want to screw with shipping.

Thanks misfortune, they came on the car. Here's a really nice looking set for $400, they still have the OE silver finish and center caps, which mine don't have. Pretty cheap though.
    http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/classifie...php?view=18155
    Matt J.

-Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast