GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polishing the lip on the Type 5 wheels

Default Polishing the lip on the Type 5 wheels

FINALLY my dream has come true. Type 5s!!!! Gotta wait till spring to put em on which I don't mind; gotta save $$ for tires. Well the wheels are decent, not perfect and the lip is naturally dull. I understand the aluminum is clear-coated. I see wheel finishers who can bring them to a mirror chrome-like shine. Is that the only alternative? I don't have/want to spend $200 just for a temporary shine. Is there an aluminum polish that will work wonders? (I don't see how it will look that great with the clearcoat) Is there an easy way to strip the clearcoat and polish that aluminum? I was given the suggestion to use paint thinner or something to strip the clearcoat and use steel wool to ploish the aluminum....???? Dosen't sound that safe. If the clear coat is removed is it advised to reapply? Or do I just have to shut up and accept they are used rims and live with the dull look?

King Of NYC

Quote Originally Posted by rockyfeller
    FINALLY my dream has come true. Type 5s!!!! Gotta wait till spring to put em on which I don't mind; gotta save $$ for tires. Well the wheels are decent, not perfect and the lip is naturally dull. I understand the aluminum is clear-coated. I see wheel finishers who can bring them to a mirror chrome-like shine. Is that the only alternative? I don't have/want to spend $200 just for a temporary shine. Is there an aluminum polish that will work wonders? (I don't see how it will look that great with the clearcoat) Is there an easy way to strip the clearcoat and polish that aluminum? I was given the suggestion to use paint thinner or something to strip the clearcoat and use steel wool to ploish the aluminum....???? Dosen't sound that safe. If the clear coat is removed is it advised to reapply? Or do I just have to shut up and accept they are used rims and live with the dull look?
    Unbolt the centers, strip the clear on the lip, polish the lip, take lip to body shop and have them cleared, reassemble rim using gold rivets () and done

Gangsterrrrrrrrrrr

Wenol works well for polishing aluminum, they have a rougher and fine polish, works quite well when you do one after the other. I did a set of Fuchs on my 911 with it, they turned out very nice. I only waxed them though, clearcoating would be more permanent.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

is that yer car, you on style 5's now? looks like you got about 10 people in the trunk there, or maybe you have just punched it, and your incredible power cause an extrem weight shift

WHOa Jon you slammed your car more?? That is the lowest rear end I've seen on an E34! What springs can do that??Green centers definitely original. Nice job.

I am lazy lookin for the easy way to do this. I don't want to disassmble the wheel then try an source new bolts. That would take centuries. So what would you use to strip the clearcoat? Any solvent that's recommended? And is steel wool safe? Dumb question but is there a special tool/attatchment for a drill or dremel (like wire brush or something) that can polish the wheel maybe instead of takin it to a professional? What if I don't clearcoat afterwards, will it dull out quickly?

King Of NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K

Gangsterrrrrrrrrrr

Hubba Hubba... Gangster is right.. that is SICK.
    I'm going to have to save my pennies some more and make SURE I get those Style 5s. I might consider a light gunmetal center (on my red car).. don't think the red center would look as nice. In any case, that looks amazing.. probably more aggressively dropped than I'm looking for, but I grant you it's hot.. if it wasn't my daily driver.. well.. you never know.
    1990 535i - 5 spd - Red on black - LSD
    Mods: EAT chip, Sachs Sports Kit, Racing King Subframe Inserts, staggered M-Parallels (replicas) with BFGoodrich g-Force Sports.

that car reminds me of the old school impalas.

one of the reasons I'm broke...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Unbolt the centers, strip the clear on the lip, polish the lip, take lip to body shop and have them cleared, reassemble rim using gold rivets () and done

Gangsterrrrrrrrrrr

that **** is gangsterrr... looks like it should have front, back, pancake and side-to-side

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

jon, that's photochopped, right?

I head Jon has the world's first tubbed e34.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast