GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got a 1993 535 some questions

Default Just got a 1993 535 some questions

I picked up the car today from a used car lot. It has a manual transmission with 133K miles on it. Unfortunately the previous owner put in a short shifter which I find PITA. It is black exterior with parchment interior. It has some service records on maintainance log from BMW dealerships.

1. I noticed that there is a rattling like noise coming from the transmission. I only hear it when the gear is in neutral. However when the clutch is depressed the noise disappears. Could this be a transmission or a clutch problem? Or possibly the shifter?

2. Since the engine is a M30 on this car, do I have to do the valves adjusment per the tips at bmw34.net website?

3. I drove home 40 miles today. I noticed via the comuter that I am averaging 19 mpg on the highway . How can I improve the mileage? Does a new 02 sensor help in this department?

4. One of the highbeam light as a crack. Where is the best place to buy a replacement?

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by gj1968
    I picked up the car today from a used car lot. It has a manual transmission with 133K miles on it. Unfortunately the previous owner put in a short shifter which I find PITA. It is black exterior with parchment interior. It has some service records on maintainance log from BMW dealerships.

1. I noticed that there is a rattling like noise coming from the transmission. I only hear it when the gear is in neutral. However when the clutch is depressed the noise disappears. Could this be a transmission or a clutch problem? Or possibly the shifter?

2. Since the engine is a M30 on this car, do I have to do the valves adjusment per the tips at bmw34.net website?

3. I drove home 40 miles today. I noticed via the comuter that I am averaging 19 mpg on the highway . How can I improve the mileage? Does a new 02 sensor help in this department?

4. One of the highbeam light as a crack. Where is the best place to buy a replacement?

TIA.
    1. I don't know but others will.

2. YES!

3. Try the valve adjustment first. Then new plugs. If the engine surges up hills in moderate rpm's change o2 sensor.

4. cheap = ebay. good = BMA Autoparts or other discount dealer. expensive = dealer.

Now, how about some more info in your profile.
    -ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

If it's actually a MY 1993 535/5 speed, then it's a very rare bird, indeed.

1) Layshaft bearing(s), given that fluid level and type (ATF) are correct. If there's noise in 1/2/3/5, also look at the input and output shaft bearings, as well as the throwout bearing. Pull the fill plug and see if there are any chunks of metal on there.

3) 19mpg on an OBC that hasn't recently been reset is excellent, especially for a manual. You didn't think this was going to be a gas saving car, did you?

You can find the answers to #2 and #4 by doing a search.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by gj1968
    If the noise is noticeable when parked, transmission in neutral and clutch engaged (not depressed), it may be the flywheel. My 525 does the same thing on occasion and after a bit of research, it seems that that (at least with the M50), the flywheel can develop a 'rattle'. For what its worth, I'm not overly concerned with mine (intermitent mind you) and will remedy when the cluth is done.

Is it also noticeable when you shut the car off? Have someone shut the engine off with the hood open if you need to.

Good Luck,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Yes it is a MY 1993 . I found on the glovebox the original window sticker. It came with a weather and memory package. Original cost was around $47K at that time. The car looks like it was taken good care since the external paint still looks shiny without any rust, oxidation or dent... just a couple of door dings. Interior is fairly clean too except for some cracking on the wood trims.

Oh one more question, the previous owner took the amp from the back but left a Kenwood HU. Any suggestion for an amp and sub?

47k in 93 is like almost 100 k now...take good care of that car and it will take care of you!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Hmm i have same rattle on mine too. Neutral, clutch engaged. As soon as i step on the clutch pedal, the noise disappears. Noise is more like quick knocking, rather than rattle. Sometimes so quiet you almost dont notice it, sometimes louder - but not "worrying-louder". So far i only heard it 20-30 percent of times or less so i'm not alarmed yet.

Its always good to hear you're not alone

sounds like a nice car, i have a 535im, do valve adjustmenst, buy a lense on ebay, and get some laminx, if you dont like the SSK, i might be looking for one, why dont you like it?

Default Regarding the "Rattle"

Hi,

The rattle is caused by the dual-mass flywheel. It will make that noise but typically it does not mean there's a problem as such. It is a combination of the flywheel and the input shaft gears "flicking". Some gearboxes will make more noise with the same flywheel as others (speaking from first-hand experience).

Most certainly, you'll hear the noise when you turn off the engine with the shifter in neutral and foot off the clutch. This is caused by a resonance at ~400 RPM.

Mine is a '91 and she still runs strong as ever. That drivetrain is solid and enduring.

Regards,
    Adnan

Hi all - I've owned several Bimmers (2002, e30 325, e28 535is) in addition to the e34 535 I bought a few months ago. Am absolutely in love with the car, and I am glad others share my preference for the e34. Quick question, when you guys refer to a "MY" what do you mean, model year?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast