GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Cluster wow's help to troubleshoot

Default Cluster wow's help to troubleshoot

So I successfully installed my keyless entry and keyless start with the help of Javier. I had to remove the cluster in the process, which I've done many times before. Now I have no fuel, computer display and no temperature gauges. My speedo and tacho are working fine. Is this a coincidence?
    This has been covered before but with no definitive answers. I did the cap replacement as per Bruno couple months ago as a precaution.
    I took this board apart again and double checked for leaking caps, cracks in solder and bad connections. Nothing that I could see jumped at me.
    Am I looking at a bad plug in the brown harness, or is it a grey circuit board?
    If you been through this before please let me know. If I need a plug then what's the best way to go and who can program it for a decent price?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nariusb
    So I successfully installed my keyless entry and keyless start with the help of Javier. I had to remove the cluster in the process, which I've done many times before. Now I have no fuel, computer display and no temperature gauges. My speedo and tacho are working fine. Is this a coincidence?
    This has been covered before but with no definitive answers. I did the cap replacement as per Bruno couple months ago as a precaution.
    I took this board apart again and double checked for leaking caps, cracks in solder and bad connections. Nothing that I could see jumped at me.
    If you been through this before please let me know. If I need a plug then what's the best way to go and who can program it for a decent price?
    Thanks
    Forgot to mention I have 1989 525i manufacture in 88/11

Thanks
    Does someone know if I can buy a used cluster from 525i 1993. Can I use it with my car and what issues would I have?

Yours has a grey backplate, the one from 1993 a white one, see the differences
    http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/...60/299960.html

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Yours has a grey backplate, the one from 1993 a white one, see the differences
    http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/...60/299960.html
    Thanks Shogun,
    So I guess I'm stuck with that narrow range of clusters and plugs for e34's made from 01/88 to 02/89?
    I says there though: "There are three versions of the instrument cluster all with their own code plug. You can't interchange the code plug in between the different versions, but you can swap the entire cluster. Do be advised when you take the old cluster you need the code plug that's mounted inside the brown plug."
    Does this mean I can transfer my plug from the harness brown connector to a newer cluster?
    Cheers

Default fixed it

Thanks
    It was the fuse #20. Changed it and everything came to life.