GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary\Dangerous steering issue.

Default Scary\Dangerous steering issue.

I just developed this problem about a week ago: I was swerving back and forth tightly when I realized I was headed for the curb. Problem was that I couldn't steer away from it. two hands on the wheel with a real firm grip slowly got the wheel back on-center. It was then easy to swerve left, but one more attempt to go right yielded the same results.

I wanted to say more along the lines of balljoints, something caught, etc, but that just doesnt make sense, because low-speed steering is still done with ease.

My guess would either be the steering box itself or the PS pump. I THOUGHT that the PS pump just pressurized the box, so in that case, I don't see why it would "seize up" in only one direction.

Any ideas on what this could be? I'm confused!

TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypr5
    ... I was swerving back and forth tightly ...
    I would love to know what your where doing....
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

Hey I had this prob when I repleased my PS hose (high press. side, pump to box) I got steering locked as if I don't have a power steering. Then I stoped the car, Checked PS fluid (ATF in my case), it was ok, since I had put the fresh one after PS hose replacement. Then I stoped the engine and restarted it. It was locked as it was before. Lock is not the right word here, I would say hard , like without power steering like older cars. I push with both my hands on both the directions and then I heard bubbling sound and my PS gets to normal and easy. Then I checked PS fluid rev, I had bubbles on top of the fluid. So I assumed air pocket in PS system coused this problem, since I had to drain and refill for PS hose change. Since then I never have any problem.

I would say try the check the fluid level, if it ok then you can try flush and refill before going to any expansive repair.

Good Luck
    Akhil

Quote Originally Posted by dacoyote
    I would love to know what your where doing....
    I had driven the car to a "safe" area to swerve to try and duplicate the problem before driving further. The steering had stiffened while driving home, and I wanted to make sure the steering was OK before driving more on public roads. No high speeds or anything .

Thanks for the reply - after inspection, the fluid level appears to be OK, however draining the system for a refill will be a slight problem as the drain plug for the PS fluid is stripped. I may possibly know somebody who can help me get it out, but I'm not so sure. I'll see what I can do. I hope this helps me out.

Thanks again!

It is strange that the steering seems to hang up in one direacion but not the other. I suppose an air bubble could get caught in one side of the box. The usual way to clear a bubble is to cycle the steering a few times from stop to stop with the pump running. While doing that, check underneath to make sure you haven't picked up some road debris that's sticking the works.

Otherwise, you're into the steering box. Wish you well with it

You can do rain an refill by taking out 2 banjo bolt on PS pump. That is how I did it. An other option is tha, take out the return side of the hose from PS fluid rev and put it onto a drain pan, Statrt the engine and trun the streeing to end to end (all the left to all the way right) at least 10 time, that will drain all the fluid into drain pan. Then take out one banjo bolt from PS pump whick ever is lower and put drain pan underneath. That will drain remaining fluid out.

Good luck

Akhil

hey ill bring home the vaccuume flusher from work and we can do that...

I'm having a similar problem. Sometimes the power steering disappears after about 45 degrees of rotation in any direction. This mainly happens on rainy days and when the engine is cold, so I assumed the belt was slipping. However, the hoses going to the ps fluid reservoir are a bit oily so maybe there's a leak?

As if that isn't enough, I just got a new steering issue. Now I'm getting a nasty screeching sound whenever I turn the wheel. The sound appears to come from inside the car. Somewhere around the steering wheel and the hub. Any ideas?

yeh I get that. used to it now. I have heard that its just one of thoise things. like when u stop and turn off the car and hear the 3 seconds of the same noise from under the column

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast