GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got burned in the face!

Default I got burned in the face!

Driving along yesterday, my car started to overheat. Not a major problem I thought, just pop the hood, let it cool down, limp to my destination, and top up the coolant... I then noticed one of my belts had disintegreated. "Bugger" I thought, better get that out of there, so I leaned in to pull the remnants out, when suddenly whoosh, the top hose came away from the radiator, which then decided to empty its contents into my face!
    After close inspection, part of the radiator was still inside the hose, where it clamps down, so it looks like it must have broken... I can't beleive something like that would be made of plastic...

Hope you are ok ,its a lesson to all of us tho if you have a overheated car let it cool down before poking around!
    Yes plastic radiator tanks just doesnt seem right when you have a car that costs as much as a house.......
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by BM-BOY
    I leaned in to pull the remnants out, when suddenly whoosh, the top hose came away from the radiator, which then decided to empty its contents into my face!
    Ooh that's a horrible thing to happen. It's one of the unexpected dangers of working on engines. I hope you still look the same as before. I'll tell my spanner friends about this one, just as a warning to them. I think everyone should know about this type of accident.

Hope you're OK,

Shaun

Thanks for your concern guys, I am fine thanks! Hopefuly should have no lasting scar...
    Unfortunately my car is still where I left it. I gotta get it towed to a garage today, but with christmas coming up, who has spare money to fix cars with? Not me, thats for sure!!
    Cest la vie!

Glad to hear that you are ok. Man, that coolant stuff can be pretty bad. The worse I have seen was, an E39 that I was racing with at the track (a year or so ago) and when it pulled into the pits after the 6 hot laps, the owner pop the hood and left it open. Just as he walked away.
    The coolant gushes out like a fountain. Fortunately, nobody was near by and the owner was barely 10 feet away and drived for cover on the noise!.
    Within seconds, it was over. But I guess damage was already done to the engine as a large amount of coolant exited the car in a hurry....

You are really lucky. It definately could have been alot worse. Glad to hear you're okay.

Greg Mendoza

Also, glad you're ok ... yep, plastic BS! I had nearly the same thing happen to me. I broke 2 rings off of mine ... the second one was on the road as I was at the beginning of an 8 hour trip. My temp gauge went up quick and when I pulled over, the hose blew off and pumped out everything it could. Luckily, I had my tools with me ... I had to cut away the plastic tabs so that I could get the hose back further on the neck and dump water in and limp back.

So, if you want to keep from spending money on the tow ... check and see if you have enough room to squeeze it back on ... after you cut those 2 plastic peices off ... one top and one on the bottom. Dump in water, bleed and then cautiously get it home.

I know your pain and just replaced my radiator this past weekend.
    Good Luck,

Ken

Anyone in the UK got a radiator for a 535i manual with aircon? I have tried all the local breakers, and they don't have anything...

Glad your'e OK.

Unfortunately I don't have a rad. Have you tried ebay?

Have a look in the yellow pages under radiators. You might be able to get yours rebuilt.

HTH

All the best

Bob

Panic over - I got one from FAB Recycling. Bloody good service from those guys, and pretty cheap too - it cost me £75 all in, which included £9.50 for next day delivery...

Should be mobile again by tomorrow night!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast