GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock stereo head unit change only : IT WORKS PERFECT !!

Default Stock stereo head unit change only : IT WORKS PERFECT !!

I read a lot of threads and the E34 site to discover I might loose some fuctionnality (balance, fade) if I only change the stock head unit. And some cracking noises and such... Which I got after plugging all the wires per diagrams including all negative speaker wires. After trying without any negatives as suggested, that didn't do much except for faint sound 'til playing with the fade and balance.

Then I plugged in the negative right rear since nothing was coming out of it all the time almost... Amazing sound comes from my right rear speaker at last... sound also from the front that was there. But the left rear is a little deaf... so I plug in the left rear negative and BINGO !!! SUPER SOUND HEAVEN !!! (Well, I'm so frikkin' happy that's how I see it).

ALL WORKS ! Balance left to right, fade front to rear ! AND POWER ! No cracking noises whatsoever, no problems any !

YYEAAAHHH !!! I'M THE MAN !!! I'M THE MAN !!!

Now I've got to figure how to put the radio anteanna in. Splice ? Adaptor ?

Very interesting. So did you connect all the (-) speaker wires to ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Anton CH.
    Very interesting. So did you connect all the (-) speaker wires to ground?
    Only the rear negatives: from the head unit rear negative to the wires for the rear negative speakers. Front negatives are capped. For reference, I plugged in an Alpine CDA-9847. All positives are plugged of course. And I did not use the RCA connections of the HU but the speaker connections of the preamp.
    Last edited by BMWDriver; 12-05-2005 at 07:22 PM.

Have you attempted connecting the fronts as well? It may be a good idea just to connect all four.

Quote Originally Posted by Anton CH.
    Have you attempted connecting the fronts as well? It may be a good idea just to connect all four.
    That was what I had done originally: all positives and negatives to their respective speaker wires. Mind you that was straight to the front negatives. But I had all sorts of problems trying to balance and fade correctly. But especially: both right speakers were just playing faint while front left was giving full power and at a fairly low volume level. Left rear was a bit inconsistent if I remember right. I don't quite understand why yet.

I've not spliced the front negative outputs to the rear negatives, mind you. She's fine as is so far. And since there were comments to just leave the negatives unplugged, so far I can't figure that might be a problem. All the more since the BMW speakers (stock I should say...) are grounded to the chasis.

I'll be taking her for a spin soon, so I'll know after some minutes drive if any problems arise.
    Last edited by BMWDriver; 12-05-2005 at 08:27 PM.

To sum it up, here's my wires setup:

From HU to BMW wires:
    +Right Rear to +Right Rear
    -Right Rear to -Right Rear
    +Left Rear to +Left Rear
    -Left Rear to -Left Rear

+Rigth Front to +Right Front
    -Rigth Front capped (BMW wire capped also of course) These are now connected. See my reply below.
    +Left Front to +Left Front
    -Left Front capped (BMW wire same). Also now connected. See below.

+Battery to +Battery
    -Ground wire to -Ground wire (not to the frame)
    Ignition to Ignition
    Illumination to Illumination
    Remote to Remote
    Pwr antenna capped (so far... or would I get reception if I spliced to remote?).
    Antenna ... well do I need an adaptor or do I splice ?
    Interruption : No cell phone, so no need -> capped.
    Last edited by BMWDriver; 12-06-2005 at 08:07 PM. Reason: (re-thought about it further)

Now I get it. I had the negative wires mismatched because of the color schemes of the wires. Or worse yet, two positives on the same speaker. What I have are identical colored wires for the negatives of the left side speakers, and same with the right ones.

When I started replugging the negatives of the rear speakers, I noticed the wires were twisted together as to pair them up per speaker. So I had not taken notice of that.

The sound is very slightly inconsistent right now, and I will correctly plug the negatives of the capped wires. However, the problem is not serious right now and it turns out to have been a major improvement. I hear some very faint cracks once in awhile when the volume is high.

Man, this felt like re-inventing the frikkin' wheel. I was so thrilled when the speakers spat super sound ! Compared to what I had to endure with the old radio (it had an inconsistent output on rear right; plus the tape doesn't play)...
    Last edited by BMWDriver; 12-06-2005 at 10:21 PM.

That's done. But I'm still left with some noises when the engine runs - a bit of cracking. Plus I notice the volume goes down a bit. But that might just be the car sucking on the power.

Some grounding issue makes it cackle ?

(BTW thank you Anton for the hints.)

wait, so when I go to install my HU...with a harness adapter, I'm not suppose to hook up all the connections?

edit: help me! im really confused. Am I suppose to be using this pac-oem 2 thing? or am I okay just splicing hte wiring harness as ^^^ just did.
    Last edited by liquidtiger720; 12-07-2005 at 12:31 AM.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by liquidtiger720
    wait, so when I go to install my HU...with a harness adapter, I'm not suppose to hook up all the connections?

edit: help me! im really confused. Am I suppose to be using this pac-oem 2 thing? or am I okay just splicing hte wiring harness as ^^^ just did.
    What is your result so far ? I get a bit of cracking noise at high volume having all wires connected. I think Anton was suggesting to ground the negative wires of the speakers instead of connecting them to the negative wires of the new head unit. I, too, am confused, but I think we'll sort it all out.

So I will probably try grounding the negative wires coming from the speakers and cap the HU negatives. Or would that be unwise ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast