GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immense Coolant leak from radiator neck

Default Immense Coolant leak from radiator neck

Seems as if the neck is broken, or was broken when I had the engine replaced. Is there a modification to repair this, or must a new radiator be installed?
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

Replace it. Such repair does not last long and it will surely then break at the wrong place/time where you might even run in danger of a headgasket problem.

Its a common thing, eventually everyones neck gets broken. You can find a Behr radiator for about $300, check BMA
    Current
    2008 M5 6 Spd
    2000 Z3 2.8 5 Spd MSport
    2012 X5 35d Sport
    1995 540i 6 Spd
    1992 535i 5 Spd

Former
    1995 530iA
    1986 635CSI 5 Spd
    2011 X3 2.8 MSport

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Replace it. Such repair does not last long and it will surely then break at the wrong place/time where you might even run in danger of a headgasket problem.
    Ok... Now for the search for a radiator..... I am going to try and get the shop to pay for it as it clearly did not have this problem before I took into the shop.
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

Quote Originally Posted by saj3n
    Ok... Now for the search for a radiator..... I am going to try and get the shop to pay for it as it clearly did not have this problem before I took into the shop.
    Is there no method to replace the resovoir tank which the neck connects to?

Perhaps pressure was applied to the area and it cracked, but good luck proving that, as they are known to break under normal use.

A few people over the years have repaird the neck, but cant remember a long term report on it.

But when my neck was broken, 2 times the hose blew off the radiator while driving on the highway... I wouldn't chance any repair that might cause that to happen again.
    Current
    2008 M5 6 Spd
    2000 Z3 2.8 5 Spd MSport
    2012 X5 35d Sport
    1995 540i 6 Spd
    1992 535i 5 Spd

Former
    1995 530iA
    1986 635CSI 5 Spd
    2011 X3 2.8 MSport

I do not think the shop will pay for it. That stuff get's old and brittle and it was time to break. Be lucky that it happened there and not 500 miles away in the middle of nowhere.
    My shop told me once when they started a repair, that old plastic parts could break as they are brittle and I should be prepared for this. I know it, Some months ago I wanted to change the parking light bulb and when I touched theat plastic rod, it just fell apart in pieces.

I purchased and replaced the end tank when the top hose spud broke off .... and they all will, in time. The aluminium crimps were real *#@$& to work with - but the rad lasted another 18 months. It died due to a poor gasket supplied with the end tank - so tossed it and replaced with a new rad. Seemingly a waste when the core was perfect ... but a reality in the world of plastic parts.

Quote Originally Posted by GS535i
    I purchased and replaced the end tank when the top hose spud broke off .... and they all will, in time. The aluminium crimps were real *#@$& to work with - but the rad lasted another 18 months. It died due to a poor gasket supplied with the end tank - so tossed it and replaced with a new rad. Seemingly a waste when the core was perfect ... but a reality in the world of plastic parts.
    How much time & money did it set you back to replace the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by saj3n
    Is there no method to replace the resovoir tank which the neck connects to?
    Just the tank can be replaced (At least on mine). Is it the original radiator? If so just get a whole new one and know you won't have to deal with it for a while. You don't want to skimp when it come to the cooling system.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast