GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Weird noise when turning

Default Weird noise when turning

Recently I started noticing a weird noise when I take turns. I think its been getting more and more intense. The noise seems to be coming from under the gear shifter and it sounds almost like a squaky wooden floor board...or sometimes a crack. Could it have something to do with the cold? Although I live in Seattle, it's been hitting the low 30s recently.

Any ideas as to what it might be and if its serious enough to worry about?

Thanks

Sounds like a problem I have. I figured out it was actually people outside the car, yelling at me to SLOW DOWN!

Now I just drive with earplugs.

Sorry if that doesn't help

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

is this on the Honda or Escalade?
    Quote Originally Posted by leetsauce4000
    Recently I started noticing a weird noise when I take turns. I think its been getting more and more intense. The noise seems to be coming from under the gear shifter and it sounds almost like a squaky wooden floor board...or sometimes a crack. Could it have something to do with the cold? Although I live in Seattle, it's been hitting the low 30s recently.

Any ideas as to what it might be and if its serious enough to worry about?

Thanks
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Steering column

There is an airbag slip joint on the steering column on airbag equiped e34s. it can squeak when cold because copper paste grease is no longer effective. Ask me how I know!
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

How do you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    There is an airbag slip joint on the steering column on airbag equiped e34s. it can squeak when cold because copper paste grease is no longer effective. Ask me how I know!

Default Saw it in the archives??

May have seen it on Roadfly. Not sure. I was told to spread the excess copper paste around the contact area after you remove the steering wheel.

Of course, I am assuming it is the problem. Mine does it every winter until the interior warms up, never in warm weather. I will fix when a cluster bulb burns out.

My indy said they typically repace the contact ring which maybe a better long term solution.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment