GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self Leveling and tranny swap ?s

Default Self Leveling and tranny swap ?s

Hello all,

I have an e34 Touring that I ahve done a lot of stuff to. I swapped out he auto for a manual and the "transmission" warning text is always showing onteh cluster screen. Anyone know how to get that to go away?

I also did a bunch of suspension stuff and I removed all the self leveling stuff. I removed the "camber" switch as well on the trailing arm. The "self leveling" text shows up on the cluster after about a mile of driving. Anyone know how to get that to go away as well? Maybe I should buy another "camber switch" and reinstall that?

Thanks

Barry
    - Barry

- E34 525 Touring "Alpineweiss": Custom shortened Bilsteins / H&R springs / 5 Speed conversion / 3.0 S50 with injectors,HFM,Chip / Alpina wheels / RRT Wheel Studs

Quote Originally Posted by Tourenwagen
    Hello all,

I have an e34 Touring that I ahve done a lot of stuff to. I swapped out he auto for a manual and the "transmission" warning text is always showing onteh cluster screen. Anyone know how to get that to go away?

I also did a bunch of suspension stuff and I removed all the self leveling stuff. I removed the "camber" switch as well on the trailing arm. The "self leveling" text shows up on the cluster after about a mile of driving. Anyone know how to get that to go away as well? Maybe I should buy another "camber switch" and reinstall that?

Thanks

Barry
    The idea of using another camber switch to stop the "self levelling" warning will work. Most people just remove the camber switch operating lever from the control arm and then fix the lever in a normal position with a cable tie.

Another way to stop the suspension warning and the trans warning is to get into the wiring harness - info from another board:

The displays have several inputs that are unused on various models. On the
    Check Control inputs, X19 pin 5 is the auto trans input. X19 pin 9 is the
    "trailer light" input. Pin X19 pin 1 is the camber switch input. Those three
    all ground in the harness back to the ground by the battery under the rear seat.
    X19 pin 2 is a "power steering fluid low" input, conveniently grounded at the
    fender next to the power steering reservoir (I'd like to add a sensor here
    sometime.)

If you can find connector X19 you'll be laughing, but I don't know where it may be.
    Last edited by Anthony (M5 in Calgary); 12-02-2005 at 02:00 PM.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Default Transmission and LAD defeats.....

I am doing the auto to manual swap in a 525iT I currently have and will find out exactly what wiring/pinouts I must ground to defeat this sometime in early Jan when the engine and tranny are ready to get wired up......sorry I don't have the answers now. This is the one area where my local independent has prior experience and I have asked him to come in and help me in this conversion. He knows what to do. I will report back my findings.

As for the LAD suspension stuff, Anthony is right. You could buy another switch and use stiff wire to move the bar in to a position that will keep the message from appearing, but you can also ground that as well. Once again, that information is readily available from my independent and I will get that info sometime soon and report back my findings. Currently both my M5 and 525iT have eliminated self levelling units and the switch in the rear is in place with the arm fixed up and out of the way so that no warning messages pop up. I will eventually remove these switches and ground them out.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    I am doing the auto to manual swap in a 525iT I currently have and will find out exactly what wiring/pinouts I must ground to defeat this sometime in early Jan when the engine and tranny are ready to get wired up......sorry I don't have the answers now. This is the one area where my local independent has prior experience and I have asked him to come in and help me in this conversion. He knows what to do. I will report back my findings.

As for the LAD suspension stuff, Anthony is right. You could buy another switch and use stiff wire to move the bar in to a position that will keep the message from appearing, but you can also ground that as well. Once again, that information is readily available from my independent and I will get that info sometime soon and report back my findings. Currently both my M5 and 525iT have eliminated self levelling units and the switch in the rear is in place with the arm fixed up and out of the way so that no warning messages pop up. I will eventually remove these switches and ground them out.

Scott
    See edit above - stolen from the Yahoo! group but I didn't want to plaster the name on this board.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Default Connector information.....

I have the EWD for the cars and can post a pic of X19 when I get home. Javier or Bill R might get to it first though. I'm pretty sure you can ground these items at their ends (e.g. ground the camber switch) instead of digging at the check control unit or the main/body harness to achieve similar results. I guess I'll see what X19 is exactly when I get home, but something tells me if it's the check control unit that it is right next to the LKM in the e-box. I wouldn't touch anything there.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    Another way to stop the suspension warning and the trans warning is to get into the wiring harness - info from another board:

The displays have several inputs that are unused on various models. On the
    Check Control inputs, X19 pin 5 is the auto trans input. X19 pin 9 is the
    "trailer light" input. Pin X19 pin 1 is the camber switch input. Those three
    all ground in the harness back to the ground by the battery under the rear seat.
    X19 pin 2 is a "power steering fluid low" input, conveniently grounded at the
    fender next to the power steering reservoir (I'd like to add a sensor here
    sometime.)

If you can find connector X19 you'll be laughing, but I don't know where it may be.
    Last edited by Scott H; 12-02-2005 at 02:16 PM.

Excellent info. So basically "breaking" the ground going to the check control trigors the warning messages. So by grounding pin 5 and 1 on plug x19 the messages will go away?

Barry
    - Barry

- E34 525 Touring "Alpineweiss": Custom shortened Bilsteins / H&R springs / 5 Speed conversion / 3.0 S50 with injectors,HFM,Chip / Alpina wheels / RRT Wheel Studs

Scott H,

You were speaking of pictures in the above post. Do you happen to have the pic of the x19 plug?

Thanks
    - Barry

Default X19 is the CCM next to the LKM in the e-box

I'm not so sure you want to dig in there to ground the necessary pins. There is very tight clearance and the possibility of accidentally screwing up the wrong part is high. I'd rather verify with my independent in a few weeks to be sure whatever I tell you is right. Can you wait a month or so? I will take pics and have a write up when it gets done on my 525iT.

Someone else may come in and have the answer in the meantime as well

Scott H,

You were speaking of pictures in the above post. Do you happen to have the pic of the x19 plug?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    I'm not so sure you want to dig in there to ground the necessary pins. There is very tight clearance and the possibility of accidentally screwing up the wrong part is high. I'd rather verify with my independent in a few weeks to be sure whatever I tell you is right. Can you wait a month or so? I will take pics and have a write up when it gets done on my 525iT.

Someone else may come in and have the answer in the meantime as well
    X19 pin 5 is not too bad to get to... If I recall correctly, the connector itself is removable from the surrounding holder, you can then access the wires. I cut the wire (left enough room to rejoin if I ever found root cause of the false trans prog) and grounded the input to the CCM (not the Tranny control unit) 2 years ago. Solves the problem. Just make sure you have the correct pin when you do this. The pins are also removable from the connector if you would prefer not to cut the wire (then insert new pin with wire to ground).
    Please check the electrical manual to verify that this is in fact the correct pin for your specific car!!!

Since you removed the tranny ecu, you could actually ground it right at the tranny connector without futzing about removing the CCM.

Scott
    1995 BMW 525i w/139K miles, EAT Chip - (Gone)
    07 525i 22K, 07 328xi (41K)
    1982 Mazda RX-7 w/147K miles (Back again!)

Default When you remove the CCM, x19 is the green plug ,26 pins, you'll

see a green and a blue, the ones you want to ground are pin 1 and pin 5 as others have stated.

Here is the pinout of the plug itself.

Scott H,

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast