GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's 'experience' at the dealer

Default Today's 'experience' at the dealer

First, I will preface this by asking that you not reply to tell me I'm stupid and naive. I know that I am stupid and naive. This is not news to me.

So, I have some parts I'd like installed and I went to the dealer because I wanted it done quickly and competently, and figured it was a small job so their atmospheric labor rate wouldn't hurt too bad (yes, I know...stupid and naive).

These prices are all in Canadian dollars.

What I wanted done:

Replace brake light switch, purchased at dealer for $23
    Install front turn signal lenses, purchased on ebay for $25
    Install exterior door trim piece, purchased at dealer for $29
    Install wiper drive rod, purchased at dealer for $15

So far, so good. I was relieved to discover their parts prices are reasonable -- at least for the stuff I needed.

I figured doing all of the above would take 60-90 minutes, billed at $107/hr.

I watched the guy 'work' on my car.

After 90 minutes of him scratching his head with the hood up, the service women I'd dealt with came to me and told me they were just getting started (?). And she said she wanted to give me a complete labor quote so there'd be no surprises.

Her quote:

Install wiper drive rod: 2.5hrs
    Install front turn signal lenses: 2hrs
    Replace brake switch: 1hr
    Replace door trim: 0.5hr

Total: 6hrs; $647 + tax

Don't worry. I told her where to go (politely) and demanded my car back. I did not have to pay for any of that.

But what the hell? I asked her what was going on, and to explain to me exactly how this was a six hour job. She told me that it isn't, but that they go by the 'book rate'. If the book says that doing XYZ takes 2 hours, then that's what I get billed for, even if it takes 5 minutes. According to her, everybody does this and it is ethical.

I told her that I've never encountered anybody that works that way, but I'm willing to accept that perhaps everybody (every dealer, that is -- my indy mechanic never did this) does it that way, and perhaps she's only following the rules. But that does not make it ethical, and I don't understad, I told her, how you can charge a customer 6 hours' labor for a 90 minute job and call it ethical!

End of story. I'll know better next time, as I should have this time. Just wanted to share.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

sounds normal, some Indys charge a hourly rate that is higher than the dealers but only charge for actual time working on the car, not for lunch, smoke or doobage breaks.

guess your gonna try to do some of this stuff yourself now huh?

Edit: just because you go to the dealer DOES NOT mean the job will be done right.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    sounds normal, some Indys charge a hourly rate that is higher than the dealers but only charge for actual time working on the car, not for lunch, smoke or doobage breaks.

guess your gonna try to do some of this stuff yourself now huh?
    I already did. I only turned to the dealer after discovering my own inabilities. Needless to say, I'm going to try harder now.

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo
    I already did. I only turned to the dealer after discovering my own inabilities. Needless to say, I'm going to try harder now.
    Yup, stealers suck (the money out of your pocket) and using them is no guarantee of proper repairs.

Here's a tip for installing the front turn signals:

After removing the old unit (3 screws, one points at the outside of the car and two point to the front), notch the plastic housing on the new assembly where the screw fits toward the outside and partially install the screw in the fender. You can then slide the new lens back over the screw instead of fumbling with it.

To fit the other two screws, use some masking tape to hold the screw to the screwdriver - this will help you get them started and not drop them into the bottom of the fender.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    Yup, stealers suck (the money out of your pocket) and using them is no guarantee of proper repairs.

Here's a tip for installing the front turn signals:

After removing the old unit (3 screws, one points at the outside of the car and two point to the front), notch the plastic housing on the new assembly where the screw fits toward the outside and partially install the screw in the fender. You can then slide the new lens back over the screw instead of fumbling with it.

To fit the other two screws, use some masking tape to hold the screw to the screwdriver - this will help you get them started and not drop them into the bottom of the fender.
    Cheers, Anthony. Those are GREAT tips. But I can't get past step 1: remove the old unit

FWIW, I'm not surprised that the dealer is expensive. I saw the hourly rate posted on the wall and I agreed to it. But to charge 6 hours' labour for a 90 minute job can only be called unethical, stealing, lying, cheating, whatever. Not a good thing, and BMW should be ashamed of the way they gouge their loyal customers. The free coffee and comfortable lounge were very nice, but hardly a consolation if you're going to STEAL from me! And charging somebody for something and delivering 1/3 of it is stealing.
    Last edited by Jay 535i; 12-02-2005 at 01:35 PM.

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Default Which dealer by the way if we may ask?

[QUOTE=jaylebo]

Cheers, Anthony. Those are GREAT tips. But I can't get past step 1: remove the old unit

FWIW, I'm not surprised that the dealer is expensive. I saw the hourly rate posted on the wall and I agreed to it. But to charge 6 hours' labour for a 90 minute job can only be called unethical, stealing, lying, cheating, whatever. Not a good thing, and BMW should be ashamed of the way they gouge their loyal customers. The free coffee and comfortable lounge were very nice, but hardly a consolation if you're going to STEAL from me! And charging somebody for something and delivering 1/3 of it is stealing.

I'm surprised the Stealer would let you bring parts in. Usually in that case they wont warranty the work. Friend had this Honda stealer that he could bring parts too. Either way wouldnt trust someone that wont warranty their work.
    Current
    2008 M5 6 Spd
    2000 Z3 2.8 5 Spd MSport
    2012 X5 35d Sport
    1995 540i 6 Spd
    1992 535i 5 Spd

Former
    1995 530iA
    1986 635CSI 5 Spd
    2011 X3 2.8 MSport

BMW Autohaus, at 480 Steeles Avenue West in Toronto.

I should mention that I was at a different BMW dealer last week, and I asked them to install FOUR lower door trim pieces for me. They did, for free, in about 10 minutes. This dealer wanted to charge me 30 minutes labour to install ONE.

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

My family crest has the latin phrase "nunquam persolvo pro opus" (never pay for labour).

Don't be discouraged if you at first are stymied by a repair. Try using a small mirror to help you see the parts you need to remove and get a nice work light. Once the headlight covers are off and you get the washer reservoirs out of the way the turn signals are a straight shot.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    My family crest has the latin phrase "nunquam persolvo pro opus" (never pay for labour).

Don't be discouraged if you at first are stymied by a repair. Try using a small mirror to help you see the parts you need to remove and get a nice work light. Once the headlight covers are off and you get the washer reservoirs out of the way the turn signals are a straight shot.
    Thanks for that.

You're absolutely right. I don't mean to make excuses, but part of the trouble is that:

1) my garage is COLD, and a very unpleasant place to be in the wintertime
    2) my garage is DARK, and I don't have any auxilliary lighting
    3) my garage is PUBLIC, and I get dirty looks when I work on my car down there
    4) I have only a basic toolkit

When it's nice and warm outside, I don't mind goofing around on the driveway, but right now I'd just as soon pay someone else to do it. Just not if they're gonna charge me $600!

I've always been happy to pay a fair price for a job well done, but those dealer prices are not fair.

How do you get the washer resevoirs out, anyway? I've loosened the top screws, but then what do I do? Just pull up? Will the fluid stay in? I don't want to make a mess if I can help it.

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast