GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Engine Transmission E34 Question...

Default Engine Transmission E34 Question...

Hey I'm looking at buying a E34 in the next couple months, and I am looking at getting a nice Horsepower output. I was thinking M60 or M70 swap. now my question is regarding the transmission, does the transmission from a I6 bolt up to the V8 or V12 ?

Now I know that the V8 or V12 swap is not a easy thing to do, and I don't mind I have cut my teeth on everything from Small blocks to Honda's, so it's nothing I can't handle.

I'm more leaning towards the M70 out of a early750i because it's pretty easy to get.

But feel free to give me any information I should know when attempting this build.

what I will probably end up doing id finding a nice e34 shell with the 5speed in it, and then get a 750i front cut and go from there... worse case senario i'll pickup a 6speed tranny, I know that fits.
    Last edited by Kunundrum; 12-01-2005 at 11:44 PM.

Why not just buy an m5? The horsepower is great, it's already put together and it will drive like a BMW. My .02.

Curt.
    Curt.

1994 530iT (gone but not forgotten since I see it every day!)
    1991 M5

I'm not sure why you'd put an M60 into a car that can already be bought with one in it -- gotta do research, bro

Don't waste the time or money building a car, buy one that's already what you want. It will cost less and likely present fewer hassles. For the same amount of money you'd sink into building an M70 powered E34, you could easily own an M5 and have change left over...that's not accounting for the amount of time it takes to do the work.

It took me a while to realize this, but the E34 is not a V12 chassis. It's not really a V8 chassis, either... The car works best with a six.

Find a 1995 525 with a bad transmission/engine. Do an S50/5 speed swap; the parts are readily available and can be had for about 3 grand used (versus the rare M70/M73/S70 6 speed, which runs $6,000+ from the dealer). The car will handle wonderfully and have great power.

One other piece of info: these cars aren't like the domestic or import crowd. One can't just call up Summit to get parts; very few people actually know what they're doing when it comes to these cars. So, whatever estimate of time and money you've got for the project; unless you've got wholesale connections or friends who part or work on these cars, add an exponent to it.

best, whit

Default reply

I know full well about the E34 540i, and I personaly would love to own one, but so far the hunt for the elusive 6speed, M sport or M540i is proving to be exactly that... rather than a e34 535 that can be bought for 2-3000$

I don't about you but the early M70 can be purchased here for less than 2000$ but the S50 is Upwards of 5000$

my buget is about 10k for anymore than that I can Import a Euro M5 from Germany.

My basic question is will the i 6 5speed bolt up to the V8 M60 or V12 M70 ?
    Because if not I would have to buy the 6speed or the 5speed from the V8 530i to make this possible and bring the buget a little more than I was looking to spend.

NO the transmission will not bolt up. A M70 is cheaper to buy, but after doing a custom install and sorting things out it will cost more than just swapping in a S50. My recommendation, buy a 540i automatic (if you really want the M60) and then find a 6spd to swap in. Then add the usual upgrades of brakes and suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Kunundrum
    I know full well about the E34 540i, and I personaly would love to own one, but so far the hunt for the elusive 6speed, M sport or M540i is proving to be exactly that... rather than a e34 535 that can be bought for 2-3000$

I don't about you but the early M70 can be purchased here for less than 2000$ but the S50 is Upwards of 5000$

my buget is about 10k for anymore than that I can Import a Euro M5 from Germany.

My basic question is will the i 6 5speed bolt up to the V8 M60 or V12 M70 ?
    Because if not I would have to buy the 6speed or the 5speed from the V8 530i to make this possible and bring the buget a little more than I was looking to spend.
    Brandon J

The best and most realistic swap is the m62. I have alot of experience with both, and although I love the m60, the m62 outclasses it. Although the HP spec is the same I'd say my m62 is at least 15% more ballsy (I know, that's a highly technical term).
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

Tim, unless he wants to upgrade the car to OBDII, there's little chance that an M62 would work out.

As Brandon said, the V12 has a unique bolt pattern, so do the big vs baby six (and renditions thereof) available on these cars from the factory. The M60 also has a unique bolt pattern.

$10,000 buys a perfect example of an E34 and a few tasteful modifications. We stuck an S70 in a euro M5 a while back. The project took about a year to complete, and that's in a car that didn't require any engine bay brake work to begin with. I only know of one forum member who's driven the car -- Big D -- and he's expressed his opinions regarding it on various forums...

If you can obtain and get a euro M5 into the US for 10 grand, you should do that. I also want to know the name of the conversion company that can work this miracle, since I know of no company that'll do the job for less than ~15k

best, whit

I'm in Canada, not the US

I can import the car and all it costs me is 500$ to register it (on top of what it costs to buy and ship) as long as it's over 15 years old.

example 1989 M5

http://eng.autoscout24.com/home/inde...=&euroto=&zip=

4,250.00 EUR Euro = 5,777.99 CAD Canada Dollars + 2000$ for shipping and 500$ for registration = 8277.99 Canadian $ for a 89 euro M5.