GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Tach wire/plug location in e34

Default Tach wire/plug location in e34

Hi All,
    Could someone point me in the right spot for tach wire. I'm installing remote start and need to to wire to one.
    In regards to 1989 525i, e34, m20 engine.
    It could be in diagnostics socket but I don't know the 20 pin designations.
    Thanks guys

Default in the diagnostic plug

Quote Originally Posted by nariusb
    Hi All,
    Could someone point me in the right spot for tach wire. I'm installing remote start and need to to wire to one.
    In regards to 1989 525i, e34, m20 engine.
    It could be in diagnostics socket but I don't know the 20 pin designations.
    Thanks guys
    is correct and the best location, it's the only solid Black wire in the plug ( i cant remeber the pin number but it is listed on this forum somewhere) you can test it with a DMM Not a test light!! set the meter to A/C voltage.
    Also you can use a injector wire depending on the remote start your using.if it has 1 , 2 ,4 ,6 ,8 cylinder settings or tach learning . DIE all have tach learning so you can use either. 1 bit of advice 2 diodes or 2 relays for the parking lights , get them at the dash switch 2 grey wires right and left ( dont connect them together ) they will only flash outside the car not the instrument cluster.
    Strap

Quote Originally Posted by Strap
    is correct and the best location, it's the only solid Black wire in the plug ( i cant remeber the pin number but it is listed on this forum somewhere) you can test it with a DMM Not a test light!! set the meter to A/C voltage.
    Also you can use a injector wire depending on the remote start your using.if it has 1 , 2 ,4 ,6 ,8 cylinder settings or tach learning . DIE all have tach learning so you can use either. 1 bit of advice 2 diodes or 2 relays for the parking lights , get them at the dash switch 2 grey wires right and left ( dont connect them together ) they will only flash outside the car not the instrument cluster.
    Strap
    Thanks Strap for your input. I was testing the wires in the plug but non of them were showing between .5 and 1.5 volts as it should be for idle on AC setting.
    Maybee I'm checking it wrong. I know pin 1 is TD, is that the one?

Also just to be sure for parking lights connection: should I connect each grey wire to a separate 30A relay like this:
    grey wire to pin 30 ,
    +12v to 87 and 86,
    and wire from Hornet remote module to pin 85?

Thanks again

Default yeah

yeah thats your pins if im thinking correctly , your making 2 positive trigger relays , you need a ground on there also . positive from the alarm , and 12v source for the out put . should be 87 12v / 85 ground / 86 parking light output from alarm ( white wire ) pos / and 30 out to grey wires. use a 10 amp fuse on the power to the relays.

i just re-read your post , if your using a hornet add on module not a full hornet alarm sys then yes just like you said , 12v to 87 & 85 / 86 negative output from module and greys to 30. the add on module is a negative output for parking light flash or steady for visual activation notification.
    blue or blue black if i remember.

Strap
    Last edited by Strap; 12-02-2005 at 12:16 PM.