GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Pics of my destroyed camshaft

Default Pics of my destroyed camshaft

For those that have followed my horrible past year with this car, here is what should be the final installment. For those unaware, here is a good piece of bathroom reading to get you up to speed: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=16189

I picked up the car today from the shop and its running great. I also got to take back my original cam as a sort of keepsake. The following pictures illustrate a 4K mile reground cam after being oil starved due to a clogged cam spray bar.

Note the nice smooth top of the lobe in the first pic. That same lobe rotated is in the second pic. Note the beautiful (NOT) scoring and the prominent lip.

glad to hear she's back on the road

Note to the uninformed: Check gasket and Change Oil When it looks like ->

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Note to the uninformed: Change Oil When it looks like ->

Funny part is that most people won't realize how true this representation of my oil really is. It looked like rootbeer flavored jello (if there is such a thing).

Did they use RTV instead of a head gasket on that? Or perhaps to seal the water pump and/or oil pan? See the latter two all the time these days. People don't seem to realize that the same amount of the stuff squeezes IN as it does OUT. They also don't seem to get the idea what the stuff does to both the bottom and top ends (pics to come).

Good to hear they fixed it, though!

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Did they use RTV instead of a head gasket on that? Or perhaps to seal the water pump and/or oil pan? See the latter two all the time these days. People don't seem to realize that the same amount of the stuff squeezes IN as it does OUT. They also don't seem to get the idea what the stuff does to both the bottom and top ends (pics to come).

best, whit

Am I in trouble if I used RTV for the thermostat cover?

hey, we got new smilies!!!!

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by lowell

best, whit
    No, the clogging of the cam spray bar was from the cracked head which let oil and water mix. It was not AFAIK from RTV. This is a pretty experienced shop, I doubt they would have made that mistake.