GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best place to get 2nd jack and stands

Default Best place to get 2nd jack and stands

After changing my transmission fluid using my little crappy jack and jack stands I realize I have got to get something that can get my car up in the air. My current jack would not let me raise the car high enough to be level with the other side that was on ramps.
    I am not looking to spend hundreds of dollars though. Where should I start looking? I want a big jack and some wide sturdy stands so I feel safe also.

It's hard to reply without knowing what country you're in - please fill out your profile.
    Curt.

1994 530iT (gone but not forgotten since I see it every day!)
    1991 M5

Just to show you what I bought, maybe it gives you an idea.
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/108231/
    Of course I bought it here in Japan. A good US source is probably here, I read their page frequently
    http://www.harborfreight.com/
    They have foldable 2 ton engine cranes for 200 $, I paid here 400, still cheap for Japanese standard.

I am in teh U.S. I was thinking about harbor freight this morning. We actually have a store here in Nashville.

It is easier if you fill out your profile as we did it, so much easier to answer. Just click on to User C/P and add these items.
    Harbor Freight is in my opinion a good shop, although I do not know so much about the US. Prices are pretty good.

Default Depends on what your budget is. m=>

I purchased a 2 ton Powerbuilt aluminum racing jack recommended by Bill R. for $99 on sale from Kragen with a 1 or 3 year limited warranty... an excellent investment. Very reliable, fast lift and will jack the car up to about 18" or 20", I believe. Apparently, the problem is that Powerbuilt is only available on the West coast. I've seen the same jack at Pepboys under a different name but don't remember the price. A while back in someone's thread I included a picture of the aluminum jack I talk about but can't seem to find it. Take a stab at the archives... you might get lucky. There are others who have various opinions of jack manufacturers and their reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by mbogosia
    After changing my transmission fluid using my little crappy jack and jack stands I realize I have got to get something that can get my car up in the air. My current jack would not let me raise the car high enough to be level with the other side that was on ramps.
    I am not looking to spend hundreds of dollars though. Where should I start looking? I want a big jack and some wide sturdy stands so I feel safe also.

I have a pepboys I will look also. My jack just doesn't go up far enough and it doesn't feel very sturdy either.

My profile should now be showing for you Shogun.

Yep, profile works perfect now. Thanks.
    Don't go for the cheapest one. That is an investment into a tool you will use for many, many years. So buy the better one, even if it costs a bit more.

Please tell em you're not getting under the car with only a jack holding it up!?!?
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by wingman
    Please tell em you're not getting under the car with only a jack holding it up!?!?

No way! I just can't get my car up high enough with my current jack. When I do use it , it feels like it really has to work to get my car up. I hardly feel safe placing my jack stands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast