GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: how do I adjust steering box on 95 525i?

Default how do I adjust steering box on 95 525i?

I know what to look/how to adjust per Bruno's site. However, how can I even get to the adjusting nut? I cannot even see it from the top. Do I reach up from the bottom and do it blindly? Perhaps I remove selected components from the top. Help! Thanks in advance.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

should be able to see the collar nut on the top of the box from up top without removing anythin. Best way to adjust the box on I-6 car's is from up top. Easiest method to break the collar nut loose is with a universal and two long extensions to up top...hard to get leverage with a box end from down at the box. Be sure to scrib a mark in the end of the allen adjustment screw before you loosening the collar nut.
    HTH,
    George

Default Thanks- Can barely see nut

I can barely see the nut through various hoses and pipes etc. Also, there is some sort of "box" like object just above the steering box blocking part of a straight down view. It may be part of the traction control system? Anyway, I can remove a few parts such as the alternator fresh air hose etc. to get to the steering box a bit better.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    should be able to see the collar nut on the top of the box from up top without removing anythin. Best way to adjust the box on I-6 car's is from up top. Easiest method to break the collar nut loose is with a universal and two long extensions to up top...hard to get leverage with a box end from down at the box. Be sure to scrib a mark in the end of the allen adjustment screw before you loosening the collar nut.
    HTH,
    George
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

What's the difference between adjusting the collar nut on the box... and the nut under the steering wheel, by the pedals? What effect does each one have?

Quote Originally Posted by jplacson
    What's the difference between adjusting the collar nut on the box... and the nut under the steering wheel, by the pedals? What effect does each one have?
    The nut under the wheel seems to set the reach adjustment friction on the column and not much else. If it's very loose then it is a source of play, but otherwise if you tighten it you'll just notice the reach adjustment doesn't work any more.

The adjuster on the box changes the preload inside the steering box and should notionally therefore give you a trade-off between friction and lash in the steering system. However, if I wind mine tight I get friction without getting rid of the lash. Sigh.

Damian

P.S. You boys with sixes don't know the meaning of "difficult access" to the box - with the 8 I have to lift the engine off its mounts to get in there...