GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: more insurance fun

Default more insurance fun

Backstory. I was in a minor wreck, his fault on 10/3. Waiting on funds from insurance to come in to make a move on the 535iM I've a deposit on.

I must be stupid. As if I was going to walk away from this thing unscathed without a worry. So I had a minor wreck, had minor injuries, my car wasn't totalled still very driveable. So the insurance agrees to pay $2200 for it. Good deal, I'm getting another car.

My chiropractor submits his bill and the insurance company audits it for a week and cuts it in half and tells me to deal with the chiropractor they're not responsible for dealing with him, its my responsibility blah blah blah.

My chiropractor sang like a bird the whole time I was there to get a lawyer, however, I didn't because of some advice I got. Now I'm gonna be stuck in the middle. Not enough money to pay the chiropractor, insurance company bending me over the table. Sigh, guess I should call a lawyer.

Even if some of the things they did were extraneous and unnecessary, they still have to be paid for right?

Ya know I had faith in the human race, that all would work out as it should be, that I wouldn't have to threaten anyone's life, I mean they made me a good deal on my car, but once again, the insurance company does what they do best.

IMHO, the biggest thing that can make this worse is a lawyer. He'll take whatever money you have left.

Sorry you got shafted, but it's probably best to count your blessings and walk away.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

My freind you are but lost in a freemarket sea of user pays ambiguity.

You really need a healthcare system. Here in Oz its covered by the state (the vested interests are busy changing this tho)- the idea was that only things we don't need have to be paid by us or our insurance. Don't know why you guys stateside have healthcare that way, its hardly efficient or fair. My guess is that to stay competitive your insurance companies have to be very wise to lawyers, customers and healthcare professionals who think their bills are so well covered.

My advice is to talk to your chiro- say 'you are very happy he/she took **such good care** of me, but evidently not all this needed to be done, so you shouldn't have over-serviced me soooo much' (a useful inference could be that you cannot pay so its pointless).

I mean, fair is fair. Your chiro simply needs to take 'reasonable care', not do everything humanly possible- If sending u to the moon would improve your prognosis by 0.001% should the chiro have done it adn would the insurance company have to pay?

You might not be able to take the moral high-ground but I bet you can get them to meet you part of the way (esp. as they were toting up the work they were really gambling your insurance would cough up in the first place).
    Last edited by genphreak; 11-29-2005 at 06:35 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Default Who's your insurance company, so we can avoid them?

My brother had Allstate and he fought them for about 2 years for medical payments. It was scheduled to go to court and the day before the court date, Allstate agreed to pay. It's all about delay delay delay and maybe the people will go away.

Quote Originally Posted by misfortune
    Backstory. I was in a minor wreck, his fault on 10/3. Waiting on funds from insurance to come in to make a move on the 535iM I've a deposit on.

I must be stupid. As if I was going to walk away from this thing unscathed without a worry. So I had a minor wreck, had minor injuries, my car wasn't totalled still very driveable. So the insurance agrees to pay $2200 for it. Good deal, I'm getting another car.

My chiropractor submits his bill and the insurance company audits it for a week and cuts it in half and tells me to deal with the chiropractor they're not responsible for dealing with him, its my responsibility blah blah blah.

My chiropractor sang like a bird the whole time I was there to get a lawyer, however, I didn't because of some advice I got. Now I'm gonna be stuck in the middle. Not enough money to pay the chiropractor, insurance company bending me over the table. Sigh, guess I should call a lawyer.

Even if some of the things they did were extraneous and unnecessary, they still have to be paid for right?

Ya know I had faith in the human race, that all would work out as it should be, that I wouldn't have to threaten anyone's life, I mean they made me a good deal on my car, but once again, the insurance company does what they do best.

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    My freind you are but lost in a freemarket sea of user pays ambiguity.

You really need a healthcare system. Here in Oz its covered by the state (the vested interests are busy changing this tho)- the idea was that only things we don't need have to be paid by us or our insurance. Don't know why you guys stateside have healthcare that way, its hardly efficient or fair. My guess is that to stay competitive your insurance companies have to be very wise to lawyers, customers and healthcare professionals who think their bills are so well covered.

My advice is to talk to your chiro- say 'you are very happy he/she took **such good care** of me, but evidently not all this needed to be done, so you shouldn't have over-serviced me soooo much' (a useful inference could be that you cannot pay so its pointless).

I mean, fair is fair. Your chiro simply needs to take 'reasonable care', not do everything humanly possible- If sending u to the moon would improve your prognosis by 0.001% should the chiro have done it adn would the insurance company have to pay?

You might not be able to take the moral high-ground but I bet you can get them to meet you part of the way (esp. as they were toting up the work they were really gambling your insurance would cough up in the first place).

Good point man. I remember mentioning that to them and they basically blew me off saying I need to finish my treatment even if I feel good. They'd probably reduce anyway.

Talk to your most affluent, connected friend and get a referral to an attorney.... make an appointment and talk about your situation with this attorney.

Don't let your imagination run away with you...

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    Talk to your most affluent, connected friend and get a referral to an attorney.... make an appointment and talk about your situation with this attorney.

Don't let your imagination run away with you...
    What do you mean on that last statement?
    Thanks for the advice, I've already talked to a lawyer...

What misfortune !
    Perhaps you should have chosen another handle - riches perhaps ?

Listen to Genphreak - his advice is sound. If you have now talked with a lawyer, hopefully he or she will help you negotiate a lower chiropracter bill - I would be very surprised if the chiropracter does not offer 2 fees - one with a pay-out and one without. Either way, keep stressing how little you can afford.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

The purpose of an insurance company is to collect premiums and refuse to pay claims. They will tool you around as long as they can, figuring you'll say the hell with it and take their low ball offer. They have been at war with chiropractors for decades and often agree to pay none of a chiropractor's charges. They know what a PITA it is to hire a lawyer and how long the legal system takes. That said, if you make it known that you'll go the distance, you can get justice - just know that you'll have to earn it. Hang in there and good luck.