GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CHECK CONTROL on 1992 525i and won't start

Default CHECK CONTROL on 1992 525i and won't start

I've got a 1992 525i which drove fine for the past. I got home one day and te next day tried to start it and it just cranked without firing. The instrument panel displayed "CHECK CONTROL" then "USER'S MANUAL"... I had to leave so I used the family van and when I got back tried to start it again and it did fire but stopped after a few seconds. Then the same display came back on and since then didn't start. I just about drained my battery from trying to crank it over. I need to get this running so I could get to work !!! Anybody out there who could help me or have the same problem solved
    I appreciate any help. Thank you very much.
    Patrick

Default I would say to forget about the check control ...

signal, as it is probably a low battery issue, and focus on the no start condition. Fuel pum, CPS, work to do. Do a search for "no start" there should be plenty of info in the archives. Keep informing your findings, so we can help.

Javier

Best to stick a 12V trickle charger to the battery mains while battery is still connected in the car. USe the crocodile clips to tap +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve. Stick the charger into the mains. It it charge overnight. Next morning with charging still connected and pluged in. Start the car a few time to diagnose the problem. You might not get fuel which means either your tank is already empty (don't laugh, it happens) or your fuel pump is not kicking....
    Hard to say without a few diagnostic tips to narrow down the problem set. I had a situation where the fuel pump fuse got busted. It could be as simple as that. Check all fuses with a DVM first!.

Default Check control and more arghhhh!

I checked all the fuses and they are all good. I replaced the battery with an Optima Gel cell. When I replaced the battery, I heard a single ding from the car when I turned it on the radio and OBC were asking for codes... I don't have either code numbers though... So I researched and read about the OBC ( I'll leave the radio alone for now, I could get the code from the dealer). I tried to fidget at first with the Check control but to no avail. So I went to the "reseting of the OBC by taking off the negative terminal, then waited the 2-5 minutes. Reconnected the terminal then placed the ignition to position 1. NO ALARM, NO COUNTDOWN of 15 minutes I tred this a couple of times and still nothing... On the last two tries I got a "PPPP" on the OBC. I read about the PPPP code and some say it might be a loose connection? Checked the LKM, CCM, relays and even removed and reinstalled the OBC. Tried the battery deal again and still no go... I miss driving the car It's getting cold and dark here in Washington and I'm at a loss..I'm in the Navy and have to work days. Have to troubleshoot on the weekend again, Hmmm I need to check the fuel pump too huh? Bimmer GURUS I do appreciate your help!!!!!
    Last edited by ayshiudan; 11-30-2005 at 12:37 AM.

I am currently having the same exact problem you are right now. I even brought it to the mechanic and they said nothing is wrong with it. I'm all out of ideas

Ok, if you brought the car to the mechanic and it cannot start, and the mechanic said its ok?. You sure thats the mechanic speaking and not some salesman ?.

Default If OBC is waiting for the code, car won't start!

Disconnect OBC and test start as suggested by cschollum. The problem is what is going on, you may have a fuse issue related to OBC. This link has a nice pin out of OBC so you can check all power inputs are there. This will help you discard any damaged fuse issues.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...87179#poststop

Other chances are to have issues with Instrument Cluster preventing the OBC to read the coding plug.

Javier

Ok, if you brought the car to the mechanic and it cannot start, and the mechanic said its ok?. You sure thats the mechanic speaking and not some salesman ?.
    Well my family brings all our cars to this guy and he's been doing a good job on them thus far, i see no reason why he would do that. This car is starting to piss me off

Default Check Control Woes!!! And Then... :-)

Well everyone, I got my new check control module today, I installed it and placed the battery back on, jiggled all the plugs, cleaned out the blades on the main relay, fuel relay and even tapped on the fuel pump just for good measure..... and VIOLA!!! My car started!!!
    Now with touching most of the connections and replacing the CCM and rapping on the fuel pump, I am not clear on which one made it work but it works now LOL !
    One thing though... when I hooked up the battery and placed the ignition to the 1st position, I didn't get the OBC 15 minute countdown, all I got was a "PPPP" display then the temp showed ( 33degrees here now) it snowed earlier today brrrrr! So at first I was disappointed and still tried to start it. Lo and behold, the car did!
    I'd like to thank everyone who has helped here and sent suggestions!
    I'm off this weekend and I believe I'll be able to work on the other parts of my 525... mainly replacing the center bearing which was causing the driveshaft to vibrate and rub on the centerline. Now that job would be a lot easier hehehe! No electronic nightmare!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cschollum
    as i said check control has no effect on running or starting the car, why post a question if you dont bother listening to people, you just wasted a nice amount of money on a new check control that wasnt the source of your car not starting
    Not so fast csc, I thought the same thing too but then tried to trouble shoot this again thinking I spent money on a useless part... I reinstalled the old CCM and I got the check control message again so I took that off and reinstalled the new one and now the problem cleared.
    Thank you very much for everyone's help though! I guess my money was spent well and I have a running car again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast