GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ::.. How many bulbs in the cluster?

Default ::.. How many bulbs in the cluster?

I'm going to replace all of the bulbs in the cluster since I have three out now. If I were to do so, how many of each would I need? I can't seem to find a definitive answer in searching or the ETK.

So far, I know that I'll need at LEAST:

3x3 watt
    5x1.2 watt

Can anyone help? I'm going to swing by the dealer later. Of course, they might be able to give me the answer but I'd rather ask here first! Thanks!

BTW this is a manual tranny cluster.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    I'm going to replace all of the bulbs in the cluster since I have three out now. If I were to do so, how many of each would I need? I can't seem to find a definitive answer in searching or the ETK.

So far, I know that I'll need at LEAST:

3x3 watt
    5x1.2 watt

Can anyone help? I'm going to swing by the dealer later. Of course, they might be able to give me the answer but I'd rather ask here first! Thanks!

BTW this is a manual tranny cluster.
    There's a picture I downloaded from this site but it's too big to post here. Send me an email and I'll e-mail it to you.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

http://www.bimmernut.com/~billr/imag...gAndBulbs.html

Here's the procedure for pulling the airbag and replacing the bulbs. It's courtesy of our own Bill R. Special Thanks to Bill for the documentation.

Hope this helps,
    Jr

Thanks to you both. In the link, I'll be able to extrapolate how many bulbs I need. What would be REALLY nice is to know what kind of bulbs are needed so I don't have to take it out, check it, then go buy them. This is assuming per the link "The 1.5 watt bulbs I had to get from Bmw, all the rest were available through aftermarket sources."

One more note though... do I still really have to discon the battery if I don't have an airbag?

Default that is strange

in Germany they speak of 12 V 3 W for all ??

the etk tells all
    Gone but not forgotten

Default IF you have an early 89 model then the bulbs will be slightly different than the

ones on my airbag page, the bulbs for yours are pictured as follows for an early 89

I would still disconnect the battery even though you don't have an airbag just to prevent any problems with any circuits such as the link to the obc from the dash cluster, its not a big deal to disconnect and its always safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    Thanks to you both. In the link, I'll be able to extrapolate how many bulbs I need. What would be REALLY nice is to know what kind of bulbs are needed so I don't have to take it out, check it, then go buy them. This is assuming per the link "The 1.5 watt bulbs I had to get from Bmw, all the rest were available through aftermarket sources."

One more note though... do I still really have to discon the battery if I don't have an airbag?

Bill, awesome pictures... however... If I count the arrows, the number of bulbs isn't correct... should I follow the numbers or the actual number of sockets... the arrows? Or?

Also, do you know what type of bulb they are?

Just remove the cluster, remove the bulbs, check how many you need and what Watt they have. That is the 100% safe method.
    These bulbs are not that expensive.
    I replaced them all once instead of only some which failed. Then you do not have to worry for the next years.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Just remove the cluster, remove the bulbs, check how many you need and what Watt they have. That is the 100% safe method.
    These bulbs are not that expensive.
    I replaced them all once instead of only some which failed. Then you do not have to worry for the next years.

Is the dealer the only place you can get these bulbs?
    Thanks!

89 BMW 525I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast